• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is it a good idea to integrate ISO 9001 and ISO 22000 QMS?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Ralda

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Lebanon
    Lebanon

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:35 AM

Hello all,

I'm working at Wheat Flour Mill, we are ISO 9001 & 22000 certified. one consultant advice us to integrate both system, other advice not to do and keep the two systems working in parallel.

I will appreciate any suggestions, ideas or experience that may help me decide the better solution.

Thank you in advance.

Zerokill_Guiding

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 38 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Fly Fishing

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:01 AM

i looked into your question. i did find a useful write up regarding the two. Starting at page 5 gives a great breakdown and information regarding the two.

In my opinion I couldn't choose between integration or separation. They are very important in their own aspects ad could be killer awesome combined.......

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:54 AM

Hello all,

I'm working at Wheat Flour Mill, we are ISO 9001 & 22000 certified. one consultant advice us to integrate both system, other advice not to do and keep the two systems working in parallel.

I will appreciate any suggestions, ideas or experience that may help me decide the better solution.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Ralda,

May i ask how yr consultants justified their own opinions ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Ralda

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Lebanon
    Lebanon

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:48 AM

Thank you Zerokill and Charles.C for your replies.

I found the attached comparison between the two standards very useful.

I was advised not to merge them to avoid any major NC which may rise in one system to affect the other and also to benefit from two external audits per year to inspect the system.

While the integration avoids multiple audit and allow not to have duplicated system but a unified control of the system.

Best,

Richard Wilson

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:09 AM

Hi Ralda,

This is a common question I come across a lot. Both standards have great benefits but many individuals see them as a "money making" scheme. I feel differently. 

For most organizations, ISO 22000 has meant:

• Ability to give their customers and stakeholders confidence (with the ISO 22000 certification) that the organization has the ability to control food safety hazards and complies with food safety practices.

• Ensure the ability to oversee all stages of the food supply chain, avoiding food safety hazards at each stage.

• Embed and improved the internal processes needed to provide consistently safe food.

• Provide continual improvement that ensures that the food safety management system is reviewed and updated so that all activities are continually optimized and effective.

• Provide confidence that the practices and procedures are in place and that they are effective and robust

Everyone operating in the food industry should be aware of the advantages of implementing ISO 22000 within their organization. This certification provides companies with superior food safety and security, mitigates risk, improves quality and allows the operation of an efficient food supply chain. It is also possible to combine ISO 22000 with other management system standards, such as ISO 9001:2015, to maximize quality across their organization.

There are great benefits to be seen from implementing ISO 9001:2015.

I am currently writing an article about the importance of ISO 22000.

Kind Regards,

Richard. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:13 AM

Hi Ralda,

Slightly OT.

For many Organisations, the biggest practical drawback to using iso22000 is probably that it is not GFSI-recognised.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

dgt39

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 34 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:46 AM

Hi Ralda,

This is a common question I come across a lot. Both standards have great benefits but many individuals see them as a "money making" scheme. I feel differently. 

For most organizations, ISO 22000 has meant:

• Ability to give their customers and stakeholders confidence (with the ISO 22000 certification) that the organization has the ability to control food safety hazards and complies with food safety practices.

• Ensure the ability to oversee all stages of the food supply chain, avoiding food safety hazards at each stage.

• Embed and improved the internal processes needed to provide consistently safe food.

• Provide continual improvement that ensures that the food safety management system is reviewed and updated so that all activities are continually optimized and effective.

• Provide confidence that the practices and procedures are in place and that they are effective and robust

Everyone operating in the food industry should be aware of the advantages of implementing ISO 22000 within their organization. This certification provides companies with superior food safety and security, mitigates risk, improves quality and allows the operation of an efficient food supply chain. It is also possible to combine ISO 22000 with other management system standards, such as ISO 9001:2015, to maximize quality across their organization.

There are great benefits to be seen from implementing ISO 9001:2015.

I am currently writing an article about the importance of ISO 22000.

Kind Regards,

Richard. 

Very interesting Richard. my knowledge of ISO 22000 is limited. Are there comparisons with BRC standards?

Richard Wilson

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:49 AM

Very interesting Richard. my knowledge of ISO 22000 is limited. Are there comparisons with BRC standards?

(Thanks to Charles C. as they summed it up in below thread) 

See this thread -

http://www.ifsqn.com...o-22000-brc-v7/

Some fundamental differences -

(1) BRC uses Codex HACCP, iso22000 uses ISO-HACCP. One big difference is in ISO's introduction of OPRP.

(2) BRC is GFSI-recognized, ISO22000 is not.

(3) BRC is prescriptive, ISO22000 is generic (FSSC22000 is more prescriptive and is thus GFSI recognized).

(4) BRC Standard changes frequently, ISO22000 has not changed in 10 years.

Richard.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users