• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is it ok to make changes from temp to moisture on CCP?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

tharinduth

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 46 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Sri Lanka
    Sri Lanka

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:40 AM

Hi everybody,

In our process we have a regulation from competent authority to keep our product's temperature below 60 degrees of Celsius at drying process. The reason for that is to maintain it's nutritional values. Since the start, temperature monitoring of drying step is the CCP.

While reviewing HACCP, we identified the real measurement is moisture level of the product which has direct influence for food safety.

My doubt is, can we change temperature to moisture as CCP while keeping temperature as OPRP?

We have scientific data to validate the moisture level as CCP at the process. 

Your prompt reply will be much appreciated . 

Linekela

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Namibia
    Namibia

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:14 AM

I think you can as it came from your HACCP review and you have data to support that its moisture and not temperature that has an impact on food safety. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Jaskaran Singh Saini

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:44 AM

You can use moisture as a CCP in your food safety plan because microorganisms also depends on moisture value in food for growth

Thanked by 1 Member:

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:10 AM

Moisture is not the proper measurement for controlling microbial growth. You want to make sure you are measuring water activity, as lower moisture foods can still support the growth of microorganisms. If indeed you get your water activity low enough to prevent the growth of pathogens of concern then the temperature does not matter.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:59 AM

Hi everybody,

In our process we have a regulation from competent authority to keep our product's temperature below 60 degrees of Celsius at drying process. The reason for that is to maintain it's nutritional values. Since the start, temperature monitoring of drying step is the CCP.

While reviewing HACCP, we identified the real measurement is moisture level of the product which has direct influence for food safety.

My doubt is, can we change temperature to moisture as CCP while keeping temperature as OPRP?

We have scientific data to validate the moisture level as CCP at the process. 

Your prompt reply will be much appreciated . 

Hi tharinduth,

IMO, to provide a meaningful comment you need to explain how you have defined CCP/OPRP for yr iso-hazard analysis (sec.7.4.4) plus the logic used to validate activity (or perhaps moisture) as a specific CCP/OPRP.

I doubt that nutritional value is a safety-related criterion ?

There are so many different implementations of iso-haccp which are equally, auditorially, acceptable.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

tharinduth

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 46 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Sri Lanka
    Sri Lanka

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:09 PM

Hi tharinduth,

IMO, to provide a meaningful comment you need to explain how you have defined CCP/OPRP for yr iso-hazard analysis (sec.7.4.4) plus the logic used to validate activity (or perhaps moisture) as a specific CCP/OPRP.

I doubt that nutritional value is a safety-related criterion ?

There are so many different implementations of iso-haccp which are equally, auditorially, acceptable.

Hi Charles,

Well I prefer CCP as a major step in process which needs to control in order to prevent food poisoning by various hazards. In this drying step, I take moisture level as the control point and hopefully it may control unwanted microorganisms growth.

Nutritional value is not a safety related criterion which it may loose some vitamins if temperature is not controlled. Lack of those vitamins does not effect to the consumer's health.

I think that we were following wrong CCP which is temperature of product  (When we consider health effects) and I need to change it to moisture level. Scientific literature explains that control of moisture has direct influence of growth of microorganisms.  

So can I change CCP like that? 

Thank you for your comment and support. 

tharinduth

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 46 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Sri Lanka
    Sri Lanka

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:12 PM

Moisture is not the proper measurement for controlling microbial growth. You want to make sure you are measuring water activity, as lower moisture foods can still support the growth of microorganisms. If indeed you get your water activity low enough to prevent the growth of pathogens of concern then the temperature does not matter.

Hi,

I accept your point. But still my doubt remain same. As I explained on above post, I need to know whether I can change CCP at same process step?

In a nutshell, 

Before                                                         Now

Temperature (CCP)                                     Temperature (OPRP)

Moisture                                                       Moisture (CCP)

Sean Archer

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Azerbaijan
    Azerbaijan

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:32 PM

Hi tharinduth,

Your intention is partially correct provided the authorised body accepts it. However, the intention suffers two distinct issues. Nutritional value of a food product is not a safety concern so you can freely move the control measure to a less stringent environment, like a process plan. You don't have to include it in a OPRP plan unless you have food safety concerns related to temperature.

So, to be brief, the authorised body ordered you to control the temperature. Their sole concern is nutrional value of your final product.

Your concern is bacteria and you want to control the moisture.

So what is the relation between the two? Why exchange? Do you think that you cannot control the temperature while you will control the moisture? Are you limited with the number of control points?

Kind regards,

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:43 AM

Hi Charles,

Well I prefer CCP as a major step in process which needs to control in order to prevent food poisoning by various hazards. In this drying step, I take moisture level as the control point and hopefully it may control unwanted microorganisms growth.

Nutritional value is not a safety related criterion which it may loose some vitamins if temperature is not controlled. Lack of those vitamins does not effect to the consumer's health.

I think that we were following wrong CCP which is temperature of product  (When we consider health effects) and I need to change it to moisture level. Scientific literature explains that control of moisture has direct influence of growth of microorganisms.  

So can I change CCP like that? 

Hi tharinduth,

With due respect, it's all about the specifics, not generalisations. Including  Validation.

For example hv a look at this excel / model hazard/haccp analysis for fssc22000 -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ge-4#entry50651

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

tharinduth

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 46 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Sri Lanka
    Sri Lanka

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:57 AM

Hi tharinduth,

Your intention is partially correct provided the authorised body accepts it. However, the intention suffers two distinct issues. Nutritional value of a food product is not a safety concern so you can freely move the control measure to a less stringent environment, like a process plan. You don't have to include it in a OPRP plan unless you have food safety concerns related to temperature.

So, to be brief, the authorised body ordered you to control the temperature. Their sole concern is nutrional value of your final product.

Your concern is bacteria and you want to control the moisture.

So what is the relation between the two? Why exchange? Do you think that you cannot control the temperature while you will control the moisture? Are you limited with the number of control points?

Kind regards,

Hi Sean,

There is no relationship between two reasons behind temperature monitoring and moisture level. But it is a regulatory requirement to maintain temperature in specific limit.

Unfortunately, it was the CCP step when this process was certified. Since CCP is related to food safety, I tried to analyse and found out it should be changed.

We can not go over 60 degree Celsius (Due to regulatory requirement). If we can pass the limit, we can reduce the moisture level further.

My doubt is can we change the already certified CCP point in our process in to OPRP point? (In presence of validated and verified evidence) 

Thank you

Sean Archer

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Azerbaijan
    Azerbaijan

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:42 PM

Hi tharinduth,

Sorry for delayed reply. When a regulatory requirement is concerned about food safety, you assign a control measure to comply with the requirement. The control measure (selected and evaluated as such) must be managed according to your food safety system. Any other regulatory requirement not concerning about food safety is not of interest to your food safety system. If you have a critical limit for the purpose of food safety and at the same time for a technological purpose, then you can manage the control measure in both environments. 

In your case, the temperature is required to be limited to max. 60 C because of nutritional value of the final product. You have to evaluate it further. If you think you'll have a food safety concern when the temperature drops below certain point, then you should manage it with your food safety plans, either HACCP plan or OPRP plan, depending on the severity and consequences of the food safety hazard.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users