• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:24 PM

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone can help me regarding live bird specification requirenment. I work in polutry slaughterhouse and cutting plant and have all info ( including specs, self questionaires, acreditations etc.) for all the raw materials and packaging. The only thing I'm missing is details of our main indigrient source- live bird. I asked our live bird supplier for a specification but they didn't know what I want from them. Is it something unusual what I'm requesting? Like with everything I would like to have an agreement with supplier of any goods stating what I need ( in case they send pigeoans for slaughter instead of chickens I would feel more comfortable if I had a specific details of what they should provide). If you know what I might be after please let me know what should be in such a spec- a draft example maybe...

Many thanks

Tad

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:58 AM

Off the top of my head (haven't worked in slaughter personally), my requested spec might include things like:

Species or breed(s) supplied to me

Age of birds supplied

Minimum or average live weight or carcass weight you should expect

% birds with antemortem "defect" (e.g. DoA, non ambulatory/injuries, or % that would be rejected/condemned for signs of illness)

Any requirements you had for vaccination or just a guarantee that poultry have been raised within the requirements of the law, wait period after any medications was observed, etc.

Any requirements you may have for label claims (e.g. no medicated feed fed, organic)

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:44 PM

I worked in the poultry area for many years.....this link should help you out

http://www.inspectio...138?chap=3#s8c3

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: specification, chicken, live, poultry, supplier

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users