• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:19 PM

Hi,

Can you advise on how to implement memory testing of a metal detector as part of a fail safe startup.

ref: 4.10.3.4 in BRC  Version 7

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Urban Explorer

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 86 posts
  • 51 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:29 PM

Hello,

This clause was the bane of my existence.  It can be interpreted in a few ways.  Our method recommended by an auditor was to have the belt running and place test wands on 3 consecutive packages of product being run that day.  All 3 had to be kicked off (boom, boom, boom).  Repeat 2 additional times.  We did this at the beginning of each shift, in addition to hourly verification.

An annual test was to take representative samples of all our products, and do the 3 x 3 test, but moving the wand in different places (in the box, under the box, four corners of the box, inside the product, center of the belt, sides of the belt) for each metal detector.  That adds up to a lot of passes!  Which is why it was annual because it took hours to do on a Saturday.

Thanked by 2 Members:

classic

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 December 2017 - 08:13 AM

Hi  BerBn

we carry out a memory test as follows

The test packs should be sent through the metal detector with a standard pack in between (which has already passed through the metal detector).  The test packs should be rejected and the standard packs should pass through.

Hope this helps

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:06 AM

Hi Ber,

AS per Post 2, a simple response seen in the Literature -

"The test must also include the reset function of the detector such that it must be able to pick up repeated pieces of metal in consecutive packs."

The BRC guidelines probably offer an authoritative answer.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

BerBN

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:07 AM

Hi Charles C.,

Our auditor has stated that we were not able to provide sufficient documented evidence that we had suitably validated our CCPs. We have 2 -  Freezer & Metal Detector.  I'm assuming that the auditor wants to know how we set the CCP limit on our freezer (@-12) and the procedure for metal detection. The -12 degrees limit was in place before I joined the company, with the previous QC.

Kind Regards,

BerBN
cleardot.gif

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:11 PM

Hi Charles C.,

Our auditor has stated that we were not able to provide sufficient documented evidence that we had suitably validated our CCPs. We have 2 -  Freezer & Metal Detector.  I'm assuming that the auditor wants to know how we set the CCP limit on our freezer (@-12) and the procedure for metal detection. The -12 degrees limit was in place before I joined the company, with the previous QC.

Kind Regards,

BerBN
cleardot.gif

Hi BerBN,

Getting a bit OT. :smile:

I assume by "freezer" you mean an actual manufacturing process freezing unit (ie not a cold storage)

-12 degC IMEX is rarely seen as a freezing CL although it is officially mentioned for retail storage cabinets, albeit with caveats.

-15degC is the highest temp. limit I can recall seeing for a CL for an actual freezing process (1 exception is in tab6 of excel mentioned below )

These threads may be of some freezing/storage interest (there are others more orented to chilling/freezing times) --

http://www.ifsqn.com...ng-temperature/

http://www.ifsqn.com...-control-point/

(eg excel sheet in Post13)

http://www.ifsqn.com...zing-protocols/

(bonus of a magnificent folksy song link in  Post11 !)

http://www.ifsqn.com...ods/#entry48191

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: metal detector

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users