• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:39 PM

Hi,

Can anyone suggest if Statistical Process Control (SPC) is mandatory for implementing Quality Code for Food Manufacturing? If yes, can anyone give me an example of SPC tool used in Food Manufacturing?

TIA

Regards,

Aus

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:17 AM

Hi,

Can anyone suggest if Statistical Process Control (SPC) is mandatory for implementing Quality Code for Food Manufacturing? If yes, can anyone give me an example of SPC tool used in Food Manufacturing?

TIA

Regards,

Aus

Hi ravisth,

I presume you are referring to this -

2.5.4.3     Statistical  process  control  methods  shall  be  used  to  effectively  control  and  optimize  production
processes to improve process efficiency and product quality and reduced waste.  Control charts shall be in use for
control of key processes and have defined upper and lower (process) control limits (+/- 3σ).

The Guidance has this -

The site must also determine which attributes are to be measured and control using control charts.  Typical
application for in-process monitoring (batch or continuous) as well as finished products are individual-moving
range charts or x-bar & R charts. Process data will be used to determine and calculate process control limits
which are representative of +/-3σ.

However the Guidance, as usual, also has -

Evidence may include:

Control charts are correctly applied and interpreted to reduce process variation;

Not a SQF user but offhand i predict that the "shall" will turn out to be meaningless. Other users will know more accurately than I.

PS - I also noted -

2.1.2.5  In addition to the SQF Food Safety Code requirements, the SQF quality practitioner shall:
i.        Be competent to implement and maintain HACCP-based food quality plans;
ii.        Understand the SQF Quality Code and the requirements to implement and maintain a quality management system; and
iii.        Be competent in statistical process control (SPC) and/or other quality tools to reduce process variation and drive root cause analysis of non-conformities.

Should be Fun.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

ravisth7

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:26 AM

Hi ravisth,

I presume you are referring to this -

The Guidance has this -

However the Guidance, as usual, also has -

Not a SQF user but offhand i predict that the "shall" will turn out to be meaningless. Other users will know more accurately than I.

PS - I also noted -

Should be Fun.

Hi Charles,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, that's what I am referring to. I don't know why they have added this SPC thing in Quality Code. Also, they require to use sigma variances particularly which makes it so complicated.

This is even included in Training section. Dunno how this is going to be implemented.

Anyways thanks mate.

Cheers.

Ravi

sqflady

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 250 posts
  • 63 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:43 PM

The primary use of SPC is weight control of your product.  We have supervisors on-line that test a package every 15 minutes and chart it in real time on a X & R chart.  We also use this in our lab for pH, moisture and salt of our finished product.

TaylahH

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 14 November 2018 - 09:33 AM

Hey Guys,

Ive recently found that I need to get some SPC into my workplace (apple orchard).

Struggling a bit, wondering if anyone can give some advice.

i.e frequency of having to input info and how far do I need to go?

I believe that weight would be a big one for quality and possibly also brix and firmation but would it be sufficient if I just did some graphs for either or do you think both?

Currently I weigh an apple box every 15 mins throughout production.

Also not to sure how I would measure:

2.9.2.1The employee training program shall include the necessary competencies for specific duties and the training methods to be applied for those staff carrying out tasks associated with:
i. Process control and monitoring of critical quality points (CQPs);
ii. Steps identified as critical to effective implementation of the food quality plan and the maintenance of food quality, and
iii. Product inspection and testing.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users