Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:41 AM

Hello. I am looking for a proper sample preparation regarding testing of residual chlorine on food. I was assigned to the task of testing the residual chlorine on food after it is sanitized with 50 ppm chlorine solution. I cannot find any procedure that tests the chlorine on the food. all i can find is procedure when your sample is water only. Can someone suggest a procedure?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 February 2018 - 02:53 AM

Hello. I am looking for a proper sample preparation regarding testing of residual chlorine on food. I was assigned to the task of testing the residual chlorine on food after it is sanitized with 50 ppm chlorine solution. I cannot find any procedure that tests the chlorine on the food. all i can find is procedure when your sample is water only. Can someone suggest a procedure?

Hi eccl,

It likely depends on the context, eg yr interpretation of "chlorine" ?

For example, this 2016 abstract -

Chlorine remains the most popular method used by the fresh produce industry for decontamination. However, the occurrence of disinfection by-products (DBP) derived from chlorine-based disinfectants has been highlighted as a problem. After recent reports, chlorate residues in fresh produce are of concern in Europe. This study evaluated the chlorate accumulation in process wash water and the residues in fresh-cut lettuce when sodium hypochlorite was used as a wash aid. At a commercial processing facility, total chlorine was continually added to achieve a free chlorine level of 1-80 mg L-1 for water disinfection as the organic load measured as chemical oxygen demand (COD) increased over time (1000-1500 mg O2 L-1). This resulted in chlorate accumulation (19-45 mg L-1) in the process water. When fresh-cut lettuce was washed in that water, chlorate residues were detected in the lettuce and the concentrations increased linearly with the repeated use of the same process water, reaching concentrations of 4.5-5.0 mg kg-1. To understand the chlorate accumulation in the process wash water, several experiments were performed at a pilot plant scale with different levels of COD and free chlorine. There was a significant (p < 0.001) correlation (R = 0.91) between the total added chlorine and the chlorate accumulation in the process water. We demonstrated that the added chlorine needed to maintain a free chlorine level in the process water was the contributing factor to chlorate accumulation. Chlorate residues in the washed fresh-cut lettuce after rinsing for 1 min in tap water and in commercial bags were below the limit of quantification. This study contributes to the knowledge of chlorate accumulation in the process water when sodium hypochlorite was used as a sanitizer.

Can also see this earlier publication  -

Attached File  UK,FSA - use disinfectants for prepared salads, 2006.pdf   38.59KB   39 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 2 Members:

eccl

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 08 February 2018 - 04:58 AM

Hi eccl,

It likely depends on the context, eg yr interpretation of "chlorine" ?

For example, this 2016 abstract -

Can also see this earlier publication  -

attachicon.gif UK,FSA - use disinfectants for prepared salads, 2006.pdf

Thanks! The file is a big help. Is it important to know the combined chlorine present on the leaf sample as well? And can you recommend process on determining the right ration of leaf to water as it was stated in the file that the ratio (3:1) is ideal in that study and i'm not sure if that will work with the sample i have.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:02 AM

Thanks! The file is a big help. Is it important to know the combined chlorine present on the leaf sample as well? And can you recommend process on determining the right ration of leaf to water as it was stated in the file that the ratio (3:1) is ideal in that study and i'm not sure if that will work with the sample i have.

Hi eccl,

Frankly I suggest you first show the reference to the originator of yr project and ask if this kind of info. is what is actually interested to know ?

As you can see, the chemistry can get extremely complicated as compared to trying a simple "chlorine" measurement such as by applying a chlorine test strip to a wet food sample.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users