• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:53 AM

Glove Procedure

Gloves (Kevlar) are a compulsory part of the PPE when using and cleaning knife / blades that should be applied to tasks identified.  All gloves need to be fit for food use and have an appropriate symbol visible. Glove must be worn on the opposite hand not the hand holding the knife.  

It is essential that gloves be available in a range of sizes and lengths and that glove material is appropriate for use and has adequate flexibility and sensitivity to the task.  It is essential gloves are worn appropriately and any adverse reactions reported to Line Manager/Safety Representative, any defects  to gloves must be reported immediately and replaced.

Chain mail type glove remains mandatory for butchery tasks.

Cut resistant Kevlar gloves to be worn with Blue Disposable Vinyl Gloves as a cover. Kevlar gloves need to be sanitised and washed up to 95°C.  It is the responsibility of the user to ensure that gloves are in good repair and maintained correctly.  Separate gloves need to be used for the stated tasks above. Damaged gloves will be exchanged but it is the responsibility of the individual to inform their line manager so replacements are ordered.

Activities for Gloves

• Raw vegetable, salad preparation etc.
  • Fish / shell live ( like oysters )  / meat preparation.
  • Slicing, baking, slicing, portioning
  • Front of house, cutting fruit, bread etc.
  • Handyman on specific tasks in kitchen area.
  • Knife sanitising using sanitising wipes.

Hand Hygiene

Whether or not gloves are worn, careful attention must always be paid to good hand hygiene and hand care.  The following points should be considered:

• Glove wearing should never be considered to be a substitute for hand washing technique.
  • Hands should be checked carefully at the beginning of each shift to ensure there are no visible cuts, abrasions, cracks or any areas of broken skin.  Any cuts should be covered with a clean blue waterproof dressing.
  • Hands should be washed before and after any task with bacterial soap.
  • Hands should be washed before and after wearing gloves.
  • It is imperative to develop good hand-care, including the practice of rinsing and drying thoroughly after washing
Basic Do’s and Do Not:

• Do use gloves appropriately.
  • Do change your gloves frequently - 10 to 15 minutes for vinyl gloves.
  • Do use food processing equipment / slicing equipment wherever possible.
  • Do take care when washing equipment / knives.
  • Do sanitise knives and equipment after use.
  • Do sanitise knives after storage.

• DO NOT reuse disposable gloves.
  • DO NOT leave your gloves near heaters.
  • DO NOT store unopened boxes of gloves in a dirty environment.
  • DO NOT use hand conditioners under gloves.
  • Do NOT handle knives / blades if you have not been trained.
  • Do NOT use equipment with sharp blades, chopping devices unless fully trained to do so.
  • Do NOT leave knives or blades in sink or dishwasher unattended.

It should be remembered that gloves should never replace good hand washing techniques, as no gloves will provide protection from contamination.

here on top is the standard I like to share whit the wold, to  make it a better place for all of us.

Johan Moorman   safety and food engineer

Thanked by 3 Members:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:26 AM

:welcome: 

Great first post Johan, I would also add some consideration to raw/cooked segregation, perhaps a different coloured disposable glove to match your colour coded equipment.

Kind regards,

Tony

jenw91

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 April 2021 - 01:16 PM

I may not get a reply to this due to it being 3ish years BUT...

In terms of chainmail gloves used for butchery, what it your procedure for washing them throughout the day/before breaks?

Do you use a detergent or handbrushes etc?

I work in a poultry cutting plant and have observed a gap in the procedure for this.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 26 April 2021 - 01:53 PM

Every poultry plant I've been in----they do not get more than a handwash throughout the production day.

These are incredibly expensive and most would not be willing to have duplicates on hand while others are getting a full clean/sanitize

Mid shift crub brushes are likely to create their own set of microbial soup throughout the day with bits of poultry stuck in/on them

I would stick with either just rinsing gross debris off, or using approved hand soap once the glove is on

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users