Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 February 2018 - 07:56 PM

I am establishing an environmental monitoring plan for my facility which makes RTE food. Can I test for just Listeria or do I also need to test for Salmonella? I can't find a cut and dry answer as too what I need to be testing for. Any help in this would be greatly appreciated! We do not produce a high risk food.

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:07 PM

Frankly I'd do both. Salmonella is hardy, and Listeria is ubiquitous. I feel like any program (in the US) that still tries to split hairs on which one they do where is inevitably going to be asked if they've ever tried looking for the other one regardless.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:35 AM

I am establishing an environmental monitoring plan for my facility which makes RTE food. Can I test for just Listeria or do I also need to test for Salmonella? I can't find a cut and dry answer as too what I need to be testing for. Any help in this would be greatly appreciated! We do not produce a high risk food.

Hi sabeanza,

Business ??

Monitoring for whom ??

HACCP may disagree with you that yr RTE is Low Risk.

try -

http://www.ifsqn.com...am/#entry119334

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Ian R

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 121 posts
  • 40 thanks
Good

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:33 PM

Hi Sabeanza

We have just completed our FSMA module for the BRC standard

Our environmental pathogen surveillance programme includes both Salmonella and Listeria

The auditor commented that this is what they expected to see regardless of any HACCP considerations

We make RTE snacks in a dry environment but for FSMS it seems Listeria is a must

rgds

Bill78

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 30 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Safety, Family, Golf and all things BBQ

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:46 PM

The focus of  the FSMA Food Safety Plan should be on what pathogens historically have affected your industry. As you do your research for your risk assessment, determine what types of pathogen outbreaks, food recalls ect have been linked to your raw materials, your product, similar products and food processing in general. Our company produces low risk bakery products but Salmonella and Listeria testing are now part of our environmental monitoring program due to our research. Hope that helps. Best of Luck!  :gleam:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:41 AM

Hi Sabeanza

We have just completed our FSMA module for the BRC standard

Our environmental pathogen surveillance programme includes both Salmonella and Listeria

The auditor commented that this is what they expected to see regardless of any HACCP considerations

We make RTE snacks in a dry environment but for FSMS it seems Listeria is a must

rgds

Yr auditor appears to be haccp-blinkered.

Easy audit ? :whistle: 

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Ian R

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 121 posts
  • 40 thanks
Good

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:21 AM

Hi

Not easy but very intense

We had a very long session on the FSMA module going through every clause in depth

I got the strong impression that the CB was very concerned that the FDA will increase the 'spot check' audits on companies who achieve the FSMA module

As such we were encouraged to use 'FDA' terminology in procedures, I think to make them 'feel at home' if they did visit, I did put some spellings with a Z instead of an S as a gesture

Mind you, we did have a customer's auditor then query the spelling .

Not necessarily HACCP blinkered, but Preventative Controls focussed

rdgs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: environmental monitoring, listeria testing, salmonella testing, enviromental sampling, listeria

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users