• Quick Navigation
Photo

Laundering safe temperatures to destroy pathogens etc.

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

mica

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My Horses and dogs, looking after my chickens.
    Love walking, swimming and cycling.
    Enjoy Sudoku, reading, music and cooking especially cakes for my family.
    Love learning new skills and attaining new qualifications.

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:48 AM

Hello

I have just started a new job in High care and I am going through the BRC Manual and there are areas with little information in them, the laundry procedure is one.

Can anybody tell me what is the required temperature that PPE should be laundered to destroy pathogens etc. 

Thank you

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:51 PM

Hello

I have just started a new job in High care and I am going through the BRC Manual and there are areas with little information in them, the laundry procedure is one.

Can anybody tell me what is the required temperature that PPE should be laundered to destroy pathogens etc. 

Thank you

Hi mica,

Not sure about current BRC7 IG but this interpretation was attributed to BRC in a previous thread here -

Protective clothing for high-risk and high-care areas is commercially sterile following laundering. ‘Commercially sterile’ means the removal of vegetative forms of micro-organisms associated with food poisoning and/or spoilage (to achieve this, a garment should be processed at a temperature no lower than 65°C for a minimum of 10 minutes, or be processed at a temperature no lower than 71°C for a minimum of 3 minutes or in accordance with local regulatory requirements.

IIRC most laundering processes discussed in previous threads achieve temperatures in 70-80degC range.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Yoga Ramnarain

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:55 AM

Hi mica,

The temperatures and times mentioned in the previous post were for the washing of the garments. The drying temperature is also important for the laundry. Typical drying temperature and time are a minimum 130C for a minimum of 4 minutes.

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:26 PM

Hi,

I am struggeling with the information in the last post. Do we talk about drying of garments? Where this temperture is measured - 130°C on or within the garment?

Be aware that germs will be more and more stabilized the lower the water content is.

So, my proposal is to focus on the liquid stage (washing) applying temperature, time and chemicals (and mechanics). The effect is a function of all factors, not only temperature.

Rgds

Moskito

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:09 PM

Hi,

I am struggeling with the information in the last post. Do we talk about drying of garments? Where this temperture is measured - 130°C on or within the garment?

Be aware that germs will be more and more stabilized the lower the water content is.

So, my proposal is to focus on the liquid stage (washing) applying temperature, time and chemicals (and mechanics). The effect is a function of all factors, not only temperature.

Rgds

Moskito

Very, very good point.  I would focus on the washing temperature too due to wet heat often being more effective than dry heat.  Also with the drying process, though I'm sure it will have an impact, it's going to be quite difficult to measure clothing temperature.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Laundry, Temperature

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users