• Quick Navigation
Photo

2.7.1 List with identified, potential hazards?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

QM-OS

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 103 posts
  • 40 thanks
Good

• Sweden
    Sweden

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:05 PM

Hello all,

I'm hoping for some help and potential inspiration. :helpplease:

We've recently recieved a minor complaint from our internal auditor that we don't have a document which lists all the potential hazards in our HACCP plan, according to 2.7.1.

We have previously referred to our hazard analysis where we have done everything according to regulations;

• All process steps (same on the flowcharts), product groups (incl water and packaging) are covered.
  • Biological, physical, chemical and allergens risks are considered on each steps and for each product groups, that also describe in detail which potential risk we mean.
  • We have risk assesed all steps and lists preventative and following actions which can reduce risk.

So now I'm confused as to what this required "list" of potential hazards should cover, that the analysis doesn't?  :huh:

Could someone please help me with this?

jcieslowski

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 196 posts
  • 62 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:26 PM

The standard says:  

The HACCP food safety team shall identify and record all the potential hazards that are reasonably expected to occur at each step in relation to product, process and facilities. This shall include hazards present in raw materials, those introduced during the process or surviving the process steps, and allergen risks (refer to clause 5.3). It shall also take account of the preceding and following steps in the process chain.

It does NOT say you need a separate document with hazards.  This is under the HACCP section - it is reasonable to assume that the standard is expecting you to list your potential hazards IN your hazard analysis, which you do.

In the comparison of the BRC standard to the Preventative Controls Rule, the BRC has said that their requirement is comparable to this  PREVENTIVE CONTROLS RULE: requires that a Hazard Analysis be performed to identify reasonably foreseeable hazards (biological, chemical, physical) to determine where preventive controls are require.

I believe your internal auditor does not fully understand the requirement and is confused on the hazard identification.

https://www.brcgloba...ce-document.pdf

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:50 PM

Hello all,

I'm hoping for some help and potential inspiration. :helpplease:

We've recently recieved a minor complaint from our internal auditor that we don't have a document which lists all the potential hazards in our HACCP plan, according to 2.7.1.

We have previously referred to our hazard analysis where we have done everything according to regulations;

• All process steps (same on the flowcharts), product groups (incl water and packaging) are covered.
  • Biological, physical, chemical and allergens risks are considered on each steps and for each product groups, that also describe in detail which potential risk we mean.
  • We have risk assesed all steps and lists preventative and following actions which can reduce risk.

So now I'm confused as to what this required "list" of potential hazards should cover, that the analysis doesn't?  :huh:

Could someone please help me with this?

Hi QM-OS,

It's difficult to give a meaningful answer without some context.

2.7.1 is a standard initial requirement , eg as per Codex, to a hazard analysis.

The relevant potential hazards will depend on the product/process/flow stage.

Can you be more specific as to why yr IA thinks that yr list of potential hazards is incomplete ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

QM-OS

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 103 posts
  • 40 thanks
Good

• Sweden
    Sweden

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:10 AM

The standard says:  

The HACCP food safety team shall identify and record all the potential hazards that are reasonably expected to occur at each step in relation to product, process and facilities. This shall include hazards present in raw materials, those introduced during the process or surviving the process steps, and allergen risks (refer to clause 5.3). It shall also take account of the preceding and following steps in the process chain.

It does NOT say you need a separate document with hazards.  This is under the HACCP section - it is reasonable to assume that the standard is expecting you to list your potential hazards IN your hazard analysis, which you do.

In the comparison of the BRC standard to the Preventative Controls Rule, the BRC has said that their requirement is comparable to this  PREVENTIVE CONTROLS RULE: requires that a Hazard Analysis be performed to identify reasonably foreseeable hazards (biological, chemical, physical) to determine where preventive controls are require.

I believe your internal auditor does not fully understand the requirement and is confused on the hazard identification.

https://www.brcgloba...ce-document.pdf

Hi QM-OS,

It's difficult to give a meaningful answer without some context.

2.7.1 is a standard initial requirement , eg as per Codex, to a hazard analysis.

The relevant potential hazards will depend on the product/process/flow stage.

Can you be more specific as to why yr IA thinks that yr list of potential hazards is incomplete ?

As this was a new auditor we might have had some difficulties in understanding each other.

But as I understand it, she wanted us to have a list of all potential risk at our facility, in order to "be of assistance if someone new where to write a new hazard analysis". 

I explained that the current four hazard analysis, which have been the same for the past 10 years will be used as guidance. As I previously mentioned they all have the required information.

It feels like unneccessary work to make one more document with the same information which can already found in the hazard analysis ?!   :headhurts:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:57 AM

As this was a new auditor we might have had some difficulties in understanding each other.

But as I understand it, she wanted us to have a list of all potential risk at our facility, in order to "be of assistance if someone new where to write a new hazard analysis". 

I explained that the current four hazard analysis, which have been the same for the past 10 years will be used as guidance. As I previously mentioned they all have the required information.

It feels like unneccessary work to make one more document with the same information which can already found in the hazard analysis ?!   :headhurts:

Hi QM-OS,

I deduce the current risk assessment / hazard analysis(es) has satisfied BRC's expectations.

Again, some actual context would be useful.

What kind of process is involved ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

QM-OS

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 103 posts
  • 40 thanks
Good

• Sweden
    Sweden

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:19 AM

Hi QM-OS,

Again, some actual context would be useful.

What kind of process is involved ?

It's all our production lines, we clean and pack food stuffs in different packaging. For industries and consumers.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:22 AM

It's all our production lines, we clean and pack food stuffs in different packaging. For industries and consumers.

Thks but what kind of process, fish, eggs, meat RTE, NRTE etc

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

QM-OS

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 103 posts
  • 40 thanks
Good

• Sweden
    Sweden

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:24 AM

Thks but what kind of process, fish, eggs, meat RTE, NRTE etc

Fruit and vegetables

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:05 PM

Fruit and vegetables

Hi QM-OS,

Thks.

Well, assuming you mean a production line for RTE fresh produce, the potential hazards relate to the inputs / the process-its complexity.

Just as an example of a not-so-simple flowchart -

Attached File  HACCP Generic Model for Ready-To-Eat Fresh-Cut Vegetables - Food - Canadian Food Inspection Agency.pdf   427.04KB   182 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

QM-OS

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 103 posts
  • 40 thanks
Good

• Sweden
    Sweden

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:53 PM

Hi QM-OS,

Thks.

Well, assuming you mean a production line for RTE fresh produce, the potential hazards relate to the inputs / the process-its complexity.

Just as an example of a not-so-simple flowchart -

attachicon.gif HACCP Generic Model for Ready-To-Eat Fresh-Cut Vegetables - Food - Canadian Food Inspection Agency.pdf

This is what we have.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users