• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:13 AM

Good morning,

With regards to 4.8 Documented cleaning procedures shall be in place and maintained for buildings, equipment and vehicles. The frequency and methods of cleaning shall be based on risk.

​Do I need to document a risk assessment for this?  Or is it ok to 'just' schedule the higher risk areas more frequently?  Will the audit expect to see something in writing about this?

​Thanks for your help.

chris@crepecuisine

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 101 thanks
Good

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:24 AM

Hi Welshbox,

You would schedule a food contact surface to be cleaned at least daily - based on 'risk'

Non food contact surfaces depending on where they were could be scheduled to be cleaned weekly for example - A high level pipe directly above a conveyor belt transferring food would be cleaned more regularly than a pipe running along the side of a building

So I would say the answer is yes, document a risk assessment - if it isn't written down then it never happened

Thanked by 1 Member:

welshbox

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:26 AM

Thanks for your help.  That's my morning sorted!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:45 PM

Good morning,

With regards to 4.8 Documented cleaning procedures shall be in place and maintained for buildings, equipment and vehicles. The frequency and methods of cleaning shall be based on risk.

​Do I need to document a risk assessment for this?  Or is it ok to 'just' schedule the higher risk areas more frequently?  Will the audit expect to see something in writing about this?

​Thanks for your help.

Hi welshbox,

The interpretation of "based on risk" is up to you and can be satisfied in a variety of ways.

BRC food has generated a number of examples on this forum which are equally applicable to packaging.

One simple approach often used in food/EMP(environmental monitoring programs) is via "zoning".

Another more analytical procedure (also for food) is here -

Attached File  Safefood360, risk assessed cleaning program.ppt   1.56MB   490 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

welshbox

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:09 PM

Thanks, that document is really useful. 

Once I've carried out a risk assessment and have decided on the cleaning frequency for each area, is it ok if our procedures state that cleaning is to be carried out more often or is this going to cause queries?   So if two pieces of machinery are assessed to need cleaning on a weekly basis, one involves 3 hour shut down so is just carried out weekly as assessed and the other only requires sanitising of a small area which takes 5 minutes and is therefore carried out daily, will the auditor question this?  

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:51 AM

Thanks, that document is really useful. 

Once I've carried out a risk assessment and have decided on the cleaning frequency for each area, is it ok if our procedures state that cleaning is to be carried out more often or is this going to cause queries?   So if two pieces of machinery are assessed to need cleaning on a weekly basis, one involves 3 hour shut down so is just carried out weekly as assessed and the other only requires sanitising of a small area which takes 5 minutes and is therefore carried out daily, will the auditor question this?  

Hi welshbox,

An instinctive auditor (and my) RA question would probably be "Why" ?

Curiosity / Cats ?

Regardless, I don't know of any non-financial, FS, reason for exceeding what might be interpreted as minimum FS requirements.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

welshbox

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:21 AM

So as long as I can answer the why question I should be ok?  For example our offices are classed as low risk relating relating to the quality and safety of the product, however they are cleaned daily due to making it a nicer place to work!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users