• 25 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa
  • Interests:Food Safety

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:35 AM

Good morning everyone,

Please could you assist with determining the shelf life of  LDPE, LLDPE range of decorative flexible film product for the Bakery, Beverage and Retail Food Industry?

Many thanks.

Sandy

Caglar

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Iceland
    Iceland

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:04 PM

You cannot really accurately determine the shelf life for plastics because the deterioration will depend on the conditions at the customers warehouse. Mostly sun light (affects printing), humidity (i.e PA films) and heat will determine the shelf life. 

Back in the days when I used to work in flexible packaging production and I used to declare the following as a disclaimer:

To maintain the quality of this product, it is recommended that product should be stored in its original packaging; away from any source of local heating and humidity; away from direct sunlight; under 30°C and dry conditions. It is recommended to allow product to reach operating temperature 24 hours before use.
Products must be used within 18 months from the production date. Stocks should be in rotation so that first delivery is used first and last delivery is used last.

I hope this helps.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Plastic Ducky

Director of Food Safety

• IFSQN Member
  • 175 posts
  • 42 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:FDA, USDA, SQF, BRC, FSMA, FSM (Flying Spaghetti Monsterism), Acidified Foods, LAFC, using a spotlight to hunt C.H.U.D.s at night, cooking, mycology, the middle path, epistemology, waffles, and being an all around student

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:55 PM

I concur with Caglar, I too work in flexography and we have addressed this in similar fashion. You REALLY don't know the environment of some of your customers. I have seen returns come back after being on site with a customer for years and then you get an idea of the varying environments your product is being stored in. Some of them have looked like they were practically stored in a barn or something. We have chosen a date of 12 months as anything beyond that, issues with COF on PE films becomes unpredictable.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:10 AM

Hi SandyH,

Some more plastic thoughts here -

http://www.ifsqn.com...lastic-bottles/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

redfox

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 481 posts
  • 163 thanks
Excellent

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:07 AM

Hello,

When we ask from our primary packaging (cans) for a packaging shelf-life, they were surprise because we are the first customer to ask from them, when our BRC auditor asked it on our last audit (June 2017). Eventually they give us the certification of one year from production date, provided the temperature and humidity on our warehouse is controlled. If not used after one year, test must be done to verify/check if the packaging material is fit to be used.

regards,

redfox

dulipeta_958

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:18 AM

Some thoughts I felt like sharing: 

First of all it is better to plan the production and ordering of the packaging material depending on the production quantities;  taking into consideration, the seasonal requirements and off seasonal requirements.

Next, to plan out a staggered delivery of the packaging material according to the monthly production requirements.

Next, to ensure good protective boxes for the packaging material

Next, strictly adopt the FIFO principle in the stores department

Next, to obtain the ideal storage conditions like : temperature in the warehouse, humidity in the warehouse from the manufacturer , such that , the best possible storage conditions are provided at the production facility.

In case of bottles, extra care should be taken to avoid any contamination from humidity, condensation, dust and dirt getting into the bottles, pest activity in the warehouse etc.,

After having stored the packing material over a period of several months; it is advisable to draw representative samples for swab / rinse  and should be  studied for SPC (standard Plate Counts) before using the packing material.

Hope this info is of some help.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:14 AM

Some thoughts I felt like sharing: 

First of all it is better to plan the production and ordering of the packaging material depending on the production quantities;  taking into consideration, the seasonal requirements and off seasonal requirements.

Next, to plan out a staggered delivery of the packaging material according to the monthly production requirements.

Next, to ensure good protective boxes for the packaging material

Next, strictly adopt the FIFO principle in the stores department

Next, to obtain the ideal storage conditions like : temperature in the warehouse, humidity in the warehouse from the manufacturer , such that , the best possible storage conditions are provided at the production facility.

In case of bottles, extra care should be taken to avoid any contamination from humidity, condensation, dust and dirt getting into the bottles, pest activity in the warehouse etc.,

After having stored the packing material over a period of several months; it is advisable to draw representative samples for swab / rinse  and should be  studied for SPC (standard Plate Counts) before using the packing material.

Hope this info is of some help.

Hi dulipete,

Thks for thoughts but there is no mention of shelf life.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

dulipeta_958

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:36 PM

Thanks Mr Chrles, for your response.  I do understand your comment.  Shelf life of packaging materials is a very highly variable issue  specifically because of the following factors.

a. the type of food product packed - liquid, powder, semi liquid etc.,

b. the type of heat treatment the product has been subjected to before/after packaging

c. the intended shelf life of the product under specific storage and handling conditions

d. the type of packaging material used.

Thus, the conditions needed being complex and variable to specific needs , all the variable aspects have to be carefully considered to arrive at the best packaging option for every food item.

I therefore suggest / recommend  to refer the following publication that deals in details this subject.       

FOOD PACKAGING AND SHELF LIFE

A PRACTICAL GUIDE

Edited By:  Gordon L Robertson

Published By: CRC Press.

Regards.
D.N.Ravindra

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:33 AM

Thanks Mr Charles, for your response.  I do understand your comment.  Shelf life of packaging materials is a very highly variable issue  specifically because of the following factors.

a. the type of food product packed - liquid, powder, semi liquid etc.,
b. the type of heat treatment the product has been subjected to before/after packaging
c. the intended shelf life of the product under specific storage and handling conditions
d. the type of packaging material used.

Thus, the conditions needed being complex and variable to specific needs , all the variable aspects have to be carefully considered to arrive at the best packaging option for every food item.
I therefore suggest / recommend  to refer the following publication that deals in details this subject.       

FOOD PACKAGING AND SHELF LIFE - A PRACTICAL GUIDE
Edited By:  Gordon L Robertson,Published By: CRC Press.

Regards.
D.N.Ravindra

Hi dulipeta,

Thks for the reference which I have previously seen. Unfortunately I was not further enlightened on the topic of validating shelf life of packaging materials. Probably due to the above limitations as already discussed on this forum.

Perhaps you could suggest some specific procedures from yr own  thoughts.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users