Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:19 PM

Hi, I am developing a yogurt smoothie with added berries, milk and rice bran powder in my coursework. I would like to conduct shelf-life testing for 3 weeks (Week 0, 1, 2), and the product shelf life is estimated for 2 weeks in refrigeration. May I know what are the microbiological standard in the UK or Europe food safety regulation (in terms of cfu/mL) plate counting technique to access yeast and mold, total coliforms, lactic acid bacteria, and Listeria Monocytogenes?  

I've used UHT homogenised semi-skimmed milk and the blended fruit juice pasteurised at 85°C for 10 minutes. 

Thank you. :)

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:05 PM

Hi, I am developing a yogurt smoothie with added berries, milk and rice bran powder in my coursework. I would like to conduct shelf-life testing for 3 weeks (Week 0, 1, 2), and the product shelf life is estimated for 2 weeks in refrigeration. May I know what are the microbiological standard in the UK or Europe food safety regulation (in terms of cfu/mL) plate counting technique to access yeast and mold, total coliforms, lactic acid bacteria, and Listeria Monocytogenes?  

I've used UHT homogenised semi-skimmed milk and the blended fruit juice pasteurised at 85°C for 10 minutes. 

Thank you. :)

Hi Jane,

The shelf life will probably be based on quality factors, not safety, although i appreciate that the product should conform to its micro. specification at end shelf life.

RTE UK micro. standards attached -

Attached File  HPA, ca 2010 rte micro. data.pdf   998.98KB   54 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Jane Liew

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:11 PM

Hi Charles,

Thanks for your reply. Aside from microbial testing, I will be conducting physical testing (pH, texture, sensory analysis) as well. Would it be sufficient to determine the shelf life of product?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:04 AM

Hi Charles,

Thanks for your reply. Aside from microbial testing, I will be conducting physical testing (pH, texture, sensory analysis) as well. Would it be sufficient to determine the shelf life of product?

Hi Jane,

Risk Assessment determines the initial choice of Safety or non-safety ("Quality") shelf life criteria (equivalent afaik to a choice of Best Before/Use By labelling in UK).

If non-safety it then devolves to a selection of critical quality parameters for the product. This will require some research/testing/knowledge of yr product's spoilage potential/routes and associated, measurable, "indicators".

traditional yoghurt IIRC is regarded to have an excellent safety-related history (though not 100%) hence my prediction that Quality factors will prevail.

From Google here are a couple of random  articles for determining how to proceed with yoghurt shelf-life assessment -

https://www.scienced...740002010002911

https://www.scienced...000185?via=ihub

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: foodmicrobiology, foodsafety, productdevelopment, microbiology, yogurt, yoghurt, microbiologicalstandard, pathogen, ukregulation, safetyandhygiene

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users