Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:44 PM

Hello all! First post here, but I have been reading for a while.

My facility is doing a big push on ergonomics and making jobs easier for our associates. A recent observation has arisen that the wash-down hose stations we use in the our RTE areas are difficult to maneuver and have the potential to cause injury with associates removing and returning the hoses on waist height wall hanging hooks. Average hose is 100' long, some areas have longer hoses. We use both hot and cold water. An idea suggested was to replace these with "hose reels"...Which I am leery in installing since if they are not properly maintained, these could become harborage sites for trapped material and potential pathogens.

My question to you guys - Are any of you using hose reels in your facilities? Success or are you having issues? Can anyone offer suggestions to what kind of reels work better? There are so many types out on the market and I am not sure where to really begin looking as I have zero experience in using hose reels in a RTE environment. We produce packaged frozen desserts, specifically non-dairy ice cream products.

Thanks,

~ ICman

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:06 PM

Reels are tough, I'm a bigger fan of booms for ergonomics anyway.

Biggest issue is that they're typically rolled up wet, so they create a moist harborage space. As part of your hose sanitation program, they should be unrolled completely and wiped off at some interval (maybe even every day after use), and you should use a sanitizer with a residual such as QUAT so that any trapped moisture will remain bacteriocidal, vs. PAA or chlorine which will lose strength and eventually leave behind plain water.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:24 PM

i vote no on the hose reels....let the ergonomic people try and source something that meets YOUR requirements, particularly since you are RTE.

In RTC poultry, hoses hung on hooks nightly to dry (but contracted sanitation employees out to 3rd party)

They have a completely valid point, but you can't trade one issue for another

FFF those booms are nice, but won't always work in every location

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:34 AM

Hi ICman,

I don't see why the use of hose reels (or booms) would be less hygienic, especially a wall mounted open type, I have been using them in clean areas (including ice cream production) for over 20 years:
https://www.teknomek...hose-reel-10137

Yes they need to be managed, but they need to be managed anyway or else they end up getting left on the floor. If you have a reel then it is more likely that the hose will be stored correctly.

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users