• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:03 AM

Good day, 

I received my lab report back this month for cooled omlette with TMA counts of 1980 000 and coliforms of 5150 , no other pathogens, yeast or moulds detected 

What could be the issue here am I right to say it is personal hygiene or temperature abuse ?  

We also send a butternut soup that had coliform counts of 215 nothing else detected ? 

Quality Ben

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 16 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Food Safety, Quality, Laboratory, Technical Issues, Water Activity and Migration, VITAL, Allergens, Fresh Produce, Post Harvest, Cold Smoked Fish, Non Pasteurised Caviar, Cook/Chill, Listeria Hunting & Eradication/Environmental monitoring programs, Small-Goods, HACCP, Continuous Improvement, Problem Solving, Risk Mitigation, Listeria.spp., High Risk, Chemistry, Cleaning and Sanitation, Biosecurity, Consultancy, Training, Process Control

Food Safety = Science + Culture

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:15 AM

Hi Qualitymellab,

Thats pretty high coliform count.....would suggest post processing contamination possibly.

Have you investigated further into this? ie: what exactly the coliforms are...eg: e.coli etc.

Could be temp abuse looking at your TPC (transport to lab even?) but I would want to look into the coliforms further to see exactly what they are as well. 

Qualitymellab

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:32 AM

Hi Quality Ben ,

Thank you for your reply, I am busy with the investigation now sent more samples to the lab.  

Thanks 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:03 AM

Good day, 

I received my lab report back this month for cooled omlette with TMA counts of 1980 000 and coliforms of 5150 , no other pathogens, yeast or moulds detected 

What could be the issue here am I right to say it is personal hygiene or temperature abuse ?  

We also send a butternut soup that had coliform counts of 215 nothing else detected ? 

Surprised you didn't check for E.coli.

JFI - TMA and coliforms are not regarded as pathogens. (and neither is generic E.coli).

Plate Count over 1M for RTE is usually unacceptable. Similarly the coliform count.

One sample inadequate to tell you about the process/hygiene.

Maybe it fell on the floor ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

redfox

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 481 posts
  • 163 thanks
Excellent

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:18 AM

Hello,

You might have over looked your GMP and SSOP. Is your cooking adequate? Or when during your cooling process, it might be too slow. It could be post cooking re-contamination from your personnel and environment. You must look into this, since your product is RTH/RTE.

regards,

redfox

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users