Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 33 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:00 PM

Printer for food packaging here - looking for some insights as we are switching from AIB to SQF (food safety level or known as level 2). I am meeting with our senior management team and not familiar with AIB but was hired as the SQF Practitioner. What are some of the first steps we (including management) should take to move to SQF?  

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:50 PM

Printer for food packaging here - looking for some insights as we are switching from AIB to SQF (food safety level or known as level 2). I am meeting with our senior management team and not familiar with AIB but was hired as the SQF Practitioner. What are some of the first steps we (including management) should take to move to SQF?  

Hi Julie,

Not my Standard but afaik Level 2 no longer exists for audit purposes.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

ctzinck

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 110 posts
  • 38 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:44 PM

Hi Julie,

ok something weird going on , it posts before i finish typing, so I'll try to finish.

I always tell people to hire a consultant, save you from a lot of headaches, best thing we ever did, kept them on retainer because questions crop up all the time.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Quality Is the Goal

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 57 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:55 PM

Hello Julie Y,

I was in your boat like 8 months ago, I was hired as SQF practitioner to transit company from AIB to SQF:) and just like 2 days ago we completed the SQF desk audit with only 3 minor NC. My advice its to explain the importance of management commitment and  that SQF is much more expensive than AIB. 

If You need any help with any procedure let me know. 

Good Luck! :)

Thanked by 2 Members:

Quality Is the Goal

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 57 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:58 PM

Hello Julie Y,

I was in your boat like 8 months ago, I was hired as SQF practitioner to transit company from AIB to SQF:) and just like 2 days ago we completed the SQF desk audit with only 3 minor NC. My advice its to explain the importance of management commitment and  that SQF is much more expensive than AIB. 

One more thing i forget to add its before the initial audit conduct SQF Pre-assessment Audit with your certification body auditor ( Gap Audit) it really helped me a lot.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Nemo's Friend

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 33 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:08 PM

Hello Julie Y,

Thank you so much! I will keep definitely reach out!

Nemo's Friend

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 33 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:09 PM

Hi Julie,

ok something weird going on , it posts before i finish typing, so I'll try to finish.

I always tell people to hire a consultant, save you from a lot of headaches, best thing we ever did, kept them on retainer because questions crop up all the time.

That's what we may have to do. Thank you for your suggestion!

romanfj

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:20 PM

I did what you have been hired to do and we are now in our 3rd year of the SQF audit cycle.

The way I think of it is that there's really nothing AIB requires that SQF doesn't.  SQF simply requires much more.  

Thanked by 1 Member:

Miri

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:31 AM

Hi!

We are also moving from AIB to SQF this year.  We hired a consultant to do a gap analysis for us.  He was here for two days and gave us a ton of insight, both in the plant and for documentation/procedures.

I completely agree with the other posts that recommend this.  Just having someone you can ask questions of is a huge help.

Good luck!

CMHeywood

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 June 2018 - 04:54 PM

I work for a company that produces printed packaging materials for food contact.  Due to customer requests, we moved from AIB and ISO 9000 to SQF certification for both food safety and quality (previously Level 2 and Level 3 respectively).

Some of the big hurdles were getting management to realize that much more is required in SQF than in AIB:  management review, etc.

My suggestion is to get an SQF checklist.  Check the things that you AIB program has provided.  Communicate to management the other items that are incomplete or missing.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:18 PM

Not too long ago we worked with a company that was AIB for years and then decided to go SQF.

First up was going on-site with to conduct a full documentation/system gap/audit and compliance consulting inspection of the facility.

We ended up staying about 4 days instead of the 2.5 we had planned for as the facility personnel had a LOT of questions and we decided to extend our stay to help them and they became a development client with us.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users