• Quick Navigation
Photo

How do you handle gmp's in an animal feed environment?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

jfox1

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:30 PM

Hey guys I was wondering how you handle gmp's in an animal feed environment? We deal with oat and barley production for animal feed. I am wondering if you guys tend to just put a list together of your gmp's? Do you put them in a policy? A poster? 

Also does anyone with experience in this field have a list they would like to share or an example? 

Thanks in advance! 

inamfst

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:20 PM

Hi there,

I have been working in one of the largest feed industry back in Dubai, we put all the GMPs under the GMP plan as well as the food safety risk map.

In addition every site there was posters. Since company having multiple businesses so there was a common policy for all units and every single unit e.g. feed mill having different quality, HACCP, GMP plans and control measures.

Kind regards

Muhammad Inamuddin

Thanked by 1 Member:

jfox1

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 June 2018 - 02:54 PM

That sounds good. We had a bunch of different policies at my last position in a human food company but I am considering combining them into a single policy, but it would make it a pretty large policy. Just trying to see what everyone did. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 July 2018 - 02:51 PM

Generally speaking, regardless of what you're making, you should 1 GMP policy that covers everything (hairnets, gloves, handwashing, chewing gum etc) but they all fall under a different section of the GFSI or HACCP plan you are following

That way, when you're training, you're only referring to 1 policy and not 12. So when it's time for annual refreshers, you've got "GMP" training that matches the policy exactly and it isn't piece meal

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Gerard H.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 411 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• France
    France

Posted 04 July 2018 - 07:22 AM

Hi J Fox,

Hereunder you will find a link to the official European animal feed site. It's broader than what you've asked initially, however there may be lots of helpful information there for you. In Europe, all companies trading or handling animal feed, need to have this GMP+ certificate. 

https://www.gmpplus.org/en/

The certification scheme documents can be found here:

https://www.gmpplus....-certification/

Good reading!

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

Thanked by 1 Member:

jfox1

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:22 PM

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the help. I know it is a bit subjective to ask what everyone does but I think it helps to get varying points of view and different ways to think about the problem. 

bmart

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:51 PM

Hi jfox1,

My company makes milk replacer for cattle so a little different then you. I appreciate that you asked this question because I am wondering if I can condense some of the paperwork we have for our GMPs.

Currently, we have a code of GMPs for employees and a sign off sheet indicating they've read/understood/asked questions about the GMPs. This is valid for 1 year and employees will have to sign off again after 1 year. This GMP form has sections for personal hygiene and safety, sanitation, facility maintenance, and raw materials/finished goods, 

Additionally, we have a personal practices SOP which is basically the GMPs in an SOP form.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users