• IFSQN Member
  • 50 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:51 PM

Thank you in advance for thoughts - 

We are currently working on updating our chemical control program for SQF.  

We are a very small facility where almost every square foot is spoken for, so proper chemical storage is a challenge.  

1.  We have a chemical storage closet (Literally, a 3x6 closet) - we're planning to likely put a berm in the doorway as our spill protection there.  The closet contains most of our sanitation supplies, stock of items like paper towels, and 1 gallon containers of various chemicals we use.   It doesn't open into a production area - but rather opens into a hallway that product does not pass by.  So we believe that should be sufficient for spill protection- any thoughts?   

2.  We have 2 55-gallon drums that are kept out at point-of-use and feed auto-dilution dispensers, and one spare in each spot.  One is tucked into a corner behind a part of a warehouse rack (Not near product) - our main food contact surface detergent, the other is kept in a tight corner behind our pan-washing machine (pan wash detergent).  In either case, if spillage happened - we could either contain it with a mobile kit or it would be detergent going into a pan washing pit.   Do these need to be on spill containment hardware, or in your opinion could we justify our current set-up?  If no..

Anyone have suggestions for spill containment in extremely tight areas, ideally mobile?  We have them up on 55-gallon open drum dollies currently to allow for easy cleaning beneath them. 

3.  5-Gallon buckets  - We have these hooked up to auto-dispensers as well, for anyone else who has these, how do you store them at point of use?  Do you keep them on a spill containment pallet?  

Thanks everyone! 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:36 PM

1.  We have a chemical storage closet (Literally, a 3x6 closet) - we're planning to likely put a berm in the doorway as our spill protection there.  The closet contains most of our sanitation supplies, stock of items like paper towels, and 1 gallon containers of various chemicals we use.   It doesn't open into a production area - but rather opens into a hallway that product does not pass by.  So we believe that should be sufficient for spill protection- any thoughts?   

>> I would separate the chemicals by classification and also store your dry goods (paper towels) somewhere else. Does the closet have ventilation?  first aid kit nearby?  some type of wash down?  Chemical inventory list? Closet is effectively locked?

2.  We have 2 55-gallon drums that are kept out at point-of-use and feed auto-dilution dispensers, and one spare in each spot.  One is tucked into a corner behind a part of a warehouse rack (Not near product) - our main food contact surface detergent, the other is kept in a tight corner behind our pan-washing machine (pan wash detergent).  In either case, if spillage happened - we could either contain it with a mobile kit or it would be detergent going into a pan washing pit.   Do these need to be on spill containment hardware, or in your opinion could we justify our current set-up?  If no..

>> Not sure, would need better understanding - you should post pics. how are you guarding the drums? fencing? what is the barrier to not allow unauthorized use?

Anyone have suggestions for spill containment in extremely tight areas, ideally mobile?  We have them up on 55-gallon open drum dollies currently to allow for easy cleaning beneath them. 

>> Yes, there are actually spill containment drum kits that are sold by companies such as ULINE and other safety supply companies, the small drums contain bating, absorbent material, mini booms, etc and are attached to rollers on the bottom to make it easy to move around.

3.  5-Gallon buckets  - We have these hooked up to auto-dispensers as well, for anyone else who has these, how do you store them at point of use?  Do you keep them on a spill containment pallet?  

>> I have seen this, however companies where I saw it had the buckets open with no protectors on them - they have to be protected by unauthozied use with some type of barrier, I have seen small tough metal mesh cages with locks and that did the trick and was accepted by Auditors.

Hope that helps.

Thanks everyone! 

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Xoinks

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 50 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:32 PM

Glenn -

Thank you for your feedback!  It's appreciated.  I'll note that the clutter you see is going away, and the corner will just be the barrel.  

>> I would separate the chemicals by classification and also store your dry goods (paper towels) somewhere else. Does the closet have ventilation?  first aid kit nearby?  some type of wash down?  Chemical inventory list? Closet is effectively locked?

>>> Yes to all, and we will look into options for storing dry goods somewhere else.  Do you think the spill protection method I suggested would be sufficient?  Thanks!

>> Not sure, would need better understanding - you should post pics. how are you guarding the drums? fencing? what is the barrier to not allow unauthorized use?

>>> Pictures attached, please note that the significant clutter is going away.  We currently do not have any guards on the in-use drums, though we are locking ones that are not opened.  I think putting up some kind of fencing/lock for the one behind the blue racking will be relatively easy - but do you have any idea for the white barrel?  

>> Yes, there are actually spill containment drum kits that are sold by companies such as ULINE and other safety supply companies, the small drums contain bating, absorbent material, mini booms, etc and are attached to rollers on the bottom to make it easy to move around.

>>>  I"ll keep looking, thank you! 

>> I have seen this, however companies where I saw it had the buckets open with no protectors on them - they have to be protected by unauthozied use with some type of barrier, I have seen small tough metal mesh cages with locks and that did the trick and was accepted by Auditors.

>>> We have an idea for how to protect them, thank you.  So you have seen companies where spill containment wasn't necessary for 5 gallon buckets as long as they are protected from unauthorized use?  

Attached Files

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users