Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 July 2018 - 03:17 PM

I would be very grateful for members recommendations on the following question relating to Outsourcing of a Process in ISO22000.

As a paper mill suppling food contact packaging, we are 2 weeks away from our ISO22000 Stage 2 verification audit, and, having never done so before, now need to outsource a “Slitting” process for a one off order. The process is essentially the reducing of the width of a reel of paper in line with that required by the customer, a process we normal undertake, but due to machine capacity issues we need to outsource this one off order.

We will be supplying all the primary and tertiary packaging, product labels etc.

The main risk will be contamination transfer from the slitting equipment and handling.

I have drawn up a control procedure and the site will be subject to an onsite audit, but my question relates to what I need, if anything, to include within our existing HACCP document – do I need a separate process which looks generically at the process, i.e. Transport to the Site carrying out the outsourcing, store, process, pack, return to us, or does it need to be a full, detailed HACCP analysis based on each step of their process? Or do I not need to include anything in the HACCP?

The standard only appears to make reference to inclusion within the FSM, for which we will have a procedure and audit results – is this sufficient?

Obviously time is a big issue here, and whilst I’m confident we will have the correct controls in place, such as suitable storage, handling, etc. we need to ensure we have the necessary documentation in place – and if anyone has any examples of document for a similar scenario they are willing to share I would also be most grateful.

David

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,425 posts
  • 1503 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 July 2018 - 03:28 PM

I would think for you, you're shipping check should suffice (product was in good shape, trailer was clean etc) plus the outsourcing companies Letter of Commitment/Assurance plus your receiving record when you get it back (assuming the finished product is coming back)

So I would just treat the outsource company like an approved supplier, and have them complete the same sort of checklist you use for raw material vendors (pest control, allergen control basic GMPS)

Hope that helps

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

daveh11

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 July 2018 - 07:56 AM

HI Scampi

That does seem a logical approach, at this point the consignment is either coming back to site here, or were sending personnel to the "Supplier" to conduct the final inspection as it will all be completed in the one production run - expected to take about a week.

Would generating a specific risk assessment be advantageous to demonstrate the logic we have used to arrive at the level of control implemented?

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,425 posts
  • 1503 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:57 PM

You could, but it's probably unnecessary, unless you use a risk assessment currently for all your vendors or you think you're going to have a problem with this company

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users