• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:33 PM

Hello All, 

I am the compliance and quality manager for a flour mill and bakery so I am very familiar with HACCP and food safety. This week our owner asked me to make him a HACCP plan for a restaurant he and his daughters are opening. The state health inspector is requiring one because they are going to have fresh squeezed juices on their menu. To start they will only have one, celery juice with one ingredient, celery. (disgusting I know but not my establishment) HACCP plan will be very simple but I feel I am overthinking it. There will be no pasteurization, it will be made ready to order. No testing of any kind. The only real control will be supplier approval. Since its just the state will they need supporting documentation or just the HACCP plan? Main thing is I don't know what the state requires for a restaurant and I don't want to waste my limited time making a bunch of unneeded documents. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks, 

jdpaul

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 256 posts
  • 221 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:47 PM

Supplier verification program

-Certificates of analysis will be given?

-How is the supplier cleaning the celery?

-Routine testing of celery for pathogens

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:35 PM

Double check FDA guidance on juice....i'm not sure off hand if you need to file with the FDA for this or not

www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/ucm072508.htm

"FDA issued regulations for the safe processing of fruit and vegetable juices in 2001, requiring non-retail juice processors to evaluate their operations using Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) principles and, if necessary, to develop and implement systems of preventive control measures based on HACCP principles. FDA also issued the juice labeling regulation in 1998, which requires retail processors of juice to put a warning label on any container of juice that has not been treated to achieve a 5-log reduction in the most resistant pathogen. These two regulations are intended to improve the safety of fruit and vegetable juices and to ensure that consumers of untreated juice products are adequately informed of the risks associated with consuming these products."

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,055 posts
  • 292 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:56 PM

You only need a warning label that the product is not pasteurized and the HAACP plan. For state governments - no need for documentation. If your owner has a ServSafe manual, it's a good reference and can help you as well.

My background is in teaching state regulations before moving into federal food safety regulations. HAACP plans are more simple and not always required. If you do run into questions, the health inspectors or state agency are good resources. I found most very helpful.

Edited by KfromIA, 05 July 2018 - 08:59 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:34 PM

I deduce Earth = USA

Just as a passing comment, I have noticed that many States in USA issue highly comprehensive documents detailing their haccp, etc safety requirements. Typically IIRC in the context of US Retail Food Code.

JFI Celery has allergenic potential albeit not, I think, a labelling issue in USA (unlike EU).

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:44 PM

(disgusting I know but not my establishment) ....

I love celery juice - it is delicious!

Good place to begin would be a juice haccp template.

Take a look at:

www.haccpbuilder.com

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

jaredD

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:17 PM

I was able to find the documentation on regulation in the end . I have attached it all. In case anyone else happens to live in Montana and need's to know the regulation on retail foods. 

Thnaks all for the help, 

J

P.S. Celery juice is in fact disgusting SQFconsiltant just had a typo. ;)

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users