bakeryscience

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 119 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking and baking, coffee culture, photography, watercolor painting, pets (I've officially been converted into a cat person), travel, minimalism, self-improvement

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:15 PM

Hi,

Could you take a look at my flow chart and see if there's any suggestions you would make to it? This particular one is for naturally leavened bread. I am also planning to make other charts for yeast breads, pretzels, and croissants.

Attached File  Flow chart naturally leavened bread.pdf   1.2MB   131 downloads

My main area of concern would be the step that shows our raw dough program (step 18 that leads straight to step 24). We deliver raw dough to grocery stores where they then bake it in house. I'm not sure if the arrows are confusing or not since there's a bit of crossover. 

Thanks for your help!

Rachel 

Edited by Charles.C, 24 July 2018 - 05:00 AM.
copied/uploaded pic

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 July 2018 - 04:57 AM

Hi Rachel,

As a non-baker, confusing is perhaps an understatement. :smile:

PS - the layout looks quite nice, apart from the arrows. But the interpretation is seemingly only for "bakers".

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

bakeryscience

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 119 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking and baking, coffee culture, photography, watercolor painting, pets (I've officially been converted into a cat person), travel, minimalism, self-improvement

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:57 PM

Haha, very fair point :) 

What would you say your main issue with the arrows?

Thanks!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:29 PM

Haha, very fair point :) 

What would you say your main issue with the arrows?

Thanks!

Hi Rachel,

Many of the arrows seem redundant to me but my main problem is I cannot easily see where the main process is because so many loops.

For me might need some colours or perhaps dotted lines.

But the loops may be obvious to a baker. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

bakeryscience

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 119 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:37 PM

Okay, great, thanks so much for the feedback.

Ideally, I'd like it to make sense (or at least as much as possible) to even non-bakers so your feedback helps a lot. I'll start making some edits.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 227 posts
  • 69 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:Validation, basketball, chocolatier

Posted 25 July 2018 - 05:38 AM

Hi, Rachel.

You may want to use connecting lines to simplify. Some like sort, frozen, or proof might be confusing as it may appear like a loop. Might better to use different arrow designs or fomat (color) or decision tile if needed.

BR

bakeryscience

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 119 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 July 2018 - 02:26 PM

Hi, Rachel.

You may want to use connecting lines to simplify. Some like sort, frozen, or proof might be confusing as it may appear like a loop. Might better to use different arrow designs or fomat (color) or decision tile if needed.

BR

Great, thanks so much for your feedback. Is it not the standard to view the flow being only in the direction of the arrows? For example...to view the flow as water flowing through pipes. I designed it with that in mind (thinking it was more of a standard) and so that means there would be no loops.

Thanks!  

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 227 posts
  • 69 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:Validation, basketball, chocolatier

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:31 AM

Great, thanks so much for your feedback. Is it not the standard to view the flow being only in the direction of the arrows? For example...to view the flow as water flowing through pipes. I designed it with that in mind (thinking it was more of a standard) and so that means there would be no loops.

Thanks!

I might have used the wrong word (loop). Apologies. What I really meant is the direction where the process will be going, as an example, will thawing go to scale flow ingredients or proof. Apologies for the confusion.

Attached Files

bakeryscience

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 119 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 July 2018 - 03:00 PM

I might have used the wrong word (loop). Apologies. What I really meant is the direction where the process will be going, as an example, will thawing go to scale flow ingredients or proof. Apologies for the confusion.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying, no need to apologize. For those areas, since it goes both places (depending on whether the ingredient will be mixed into the dough or just placed on top), would color coding help you? Or do you think adding words like "toppings" to the line leading to "bake" would help? 

Also, I will definitely be adding a description of all the steps in the flow chart on the following page, which I think would clear up the confusion some. But again, I just would like it to be as clear as possible :)

Thanks again! 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users