• Quick Navigation
Photo

What agar mediums do I need to test air for coliforms and SPC?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

jaredD

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:46 PM

Hello All, 

I have recently changed jobs moving up in the world but am at a loss on where to purchase some testing equipment. Specifically I am wanting to test air quality and compressed air. Testing for this is not new to me I just don't know where to order or what specific medium I want. I tried looking online and was just overwhelmed by the results. I want to test air for coliform and SPC. What agar mediums do I need, and does anyone have a good vendor?

Thanks all again, 

J.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 August 2018 - 05:09 AM

Hello All, 

I have recently changed jobs moving up in the world but am at a loss on where to purchase some testing equipment. Specifically I am wanting to test air quality and compressed air. Testing for this is not new to me I just don't know where to order or what specific medium I want. I tried looking online and was just overwhelmed by the results. I want to test air for coliform and SPC. What agar mediums do I need, and does anyone have a good vendor?

Thanks all again, 

J.

Hi Jared,

Huge topic.

It's simple. You should outsource and (initially) learn from the experts.

Such as -

http://www.ifsqn.com...race-analytics/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:11 PM

Along with trace analytics, there is 3M.........they can also provide you with a plate reader is your doing a multitude every day and have a really good training program

OR for your specific applications, you could just get kits from a reputable lab and send them back without having to do it your self

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 227 posts
  • 69 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:Validation, basketball, chocolatier

Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:30 PM

Jared,

3m have petrifilms that can be used for plate air exposure for room air quality, they also have the procedure on how long and what is the preparation for you to do that. Or alternately, you can use an equipment to concentrate it to your plate depends on your frequency and budget and the risks associated with it.

For compressed air, there is an ISO 8357 (or 8537) that specify on how microanalysis can be performed, better outsource it.

Trace Analytics

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 16 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Compressed Air Testing
    Compressed Gas Testing
    A Safer Food Supply

Posted 04 September 2018 - 08:45 PM

Hi J., 

Here at Trace Analytics, LLC we offer a rental and purchase for an ISO 8573-7:2003 microbial impact sampler (Pinocchio Super II) for compressed air. Additionally, the vendor we use for the Pinocchio Super II can also provide an environmental air sampler if need be, let us know and we can discuss a quote with you. 

When it comes to purchasing media, remember that most third party testing labs can provide that for you, however, if you are interested in purchasing the agarose yourself, EMD Millipore and Hardy Diagnostics are great places to start researching media for your micro needs. Remember the size of the plate and bagged requirement can impact price and availability. For instance, clean rooms mostly require triple bagged media. 

If you’re going to test for coliforms specifically you can always get a selective agar that is specific for coliforms, in that the agar changes colors when positive, but remember to reference your monitoring plan for expectations of validation tests. Does the agarose need to adhere to FDA or USP specifications, etc. 

Give our sales department a call and they can walk you through testing your compressed air for total plate count. 

ISO 8573-7:2003 - The normative standard for compressed air microbial testing states that a non-selective media is used, however, the informative annex of the standard mentions the use of standard plate count media (non-selective) and Sabouraud Dextrose Agar (specific for fungi only). Normative protocols are a requirement of the standard, while informative protocols are suggestions. 

Trace Analytics, LLC
800-247-1024
sales@airchecklab.com 
AirCheckLab.com 

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agar, Plates, Air testing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users