• 57 posts
  • 16 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Rugby, Military, Reading

Posted 10 September 2018 - 03:13 PM

Hey all,

I am working through desk audit information and running into a bit of a wall with the verification.  Code reads:

2.5.2.1 A verification schedule outlining the verification activities, their frequency of completion and the person responsible for each activity shall be prepared and implemented

My questions are these.  Would we be doing this for every PRP and GDP and SQF System Element that we review in the SQF and the HACCP?  Will I need to have review sheets created at a lower level for each of these items so that they can be reviewed for verification?  How does this differ from the monitoring activities that are found in 2.5.2.2?  Are there any current examples out there (most of what I see in the forums is from some time ago and may no longer be accurate)?

Lots of questions I know but this is the first section that has me thinking that there may be dozens of sheets of inspections that should be attached for all of the functions.

Cheers!

Director of Operations and SQF Practitioner in Pennsylvania
Brendan Triplett

#2 Scampi

Scampi

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,549 posts
  • 442 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:43 PM

This is the SQF definition of "verification"

A
system, which identifies, evaluates and controls hazards which are significant for food
safety. Essentially verification as applied to control measures seeks to prove that the
control measure was done according to its design.

So you should verify CCP's and any control points yearly that they still apply

#3 FurFarmandFork

FurFarmandFork

QA Manager/FS Blogger

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,064 posts
  • 482 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:50 PM

I hate that particular clause. It inevitably leads to an auditor asking for a specific checklist of verification activities. I inevitably respond with "which program verification do you want to see". I refuse to maintain a separate list for the auditors benefit when each program has it's own schedule.

Defer to Scampi, know what the definition of a verification activity is, have the intervals defined and proof that they were completed, and be ready to speak to it/explain how your system works to the auditor.

QA Manager and food safety blogger in Oregon, USA.

Interested in more information on food safety and science? Check out Furfarmandfork.com for more insights!

Subscribe to have one post per week delivered straight to your inbox.

#4 Brendan Triplett

Brendan Triplett

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 16 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:43 AM

I am of the same thinking, that the auditor will be asking for some sort of master list that will detail all of the information out for them.  I am guessing that each item will need to have its own monitoring program.. I can validate the programs annually but I think that I will invariably end up needing to create a separate program for each PRP, GDP or element that I bring attention to in my HACCP and/or SQF books.  Would you guys have any examples or anything that you could share to point me in the right direction?  Cheers!

Brendan Triplett

#5 Brendan Triplett

Brendan Triplett

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 16 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:54 AM

FFF,

Do you find that not maintaining a list for the auditors benefit upsets them in any way.  I would hate to do this and then suddenly find myself in a combative relationship with the auditor.  Or worse I ask them which they want to see and they just say "give us everything."

Brendan Triplett

#6 Scampi

Scampi

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,549 posts
  • 442 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:23 PM

I have a "verification schedule" that the auditor did ask for yesterday..........however it is a VERY vague list that is simply months of the year across the top and SQF elements down the left with a box saying which element is done when, but it would take 3 days to verify that alone so I don't expect it would ever get that far

#7 Brendan Triplett

Brendan Triplett

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 16 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:28 AM

Thanks Scampi,

I guess my worry was that they would be looking for some sort ofmincredibly detailed form that would reference a bunch of other programs. It all seemed redundant. Did the auditor like your sheet?

Brendan Triplett

#8 Scampi

Scampi

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,549 posts
  • 442 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:07 PM

Auditor was satisfied..........you should also use it so that you know you've reviewed your entire program yearly, if you don't have a schedule, how would you know?

You also know if you have any down times when you are more likely to review the more challenging parts of your program

Also, any CCP's will have a separate validation/verification schedule.....make sure that is in place

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

EV SSL Certificate