• Quick Navigation
Photo
- - - - -

How to define CCP's for "Cold Sauce" Preparation?

HACCP

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 foodguy63

foodguy63

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:03 PM

Hey all,

I'm looking for some advice on how to go about defining CCP's for a "cold sauce" (sauce that is not cooked). My facility currently produces a large variety of cooked sauces, but this is our first attempt at an uncooked sauce. Typically, our general plan for sauce consists of a cooking CCP, stabilization CCP, and some foreign material rejection CCP (i.e. metal detection or x-ray). WIth a cold sauce, would you just have a CCP ensuring stabilization is consistent as there is no "cooking"? Or do you need to provide a substitute CCP for "cooking"?

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

Foodguy63

#2 jcieslowski

jcieslowski

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 129 posts
  • 46 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:09 PM

Hey foodguy, this is a pretty 'open' question so it's tough for me to provide any sort of definitive answer but I'll share my thoughts and maybe they'll help you think about things.

For your cold sauce, I'm assuming that you're using all fully cooked ready to eat ingredients (or fresh raw ready to eat ingredients).  If that's the case, and it's ready to eat, the only real typical CCP that I see is foreign material detection (metal detector / x ray).  I'm completely unfamiliar with a sauce stabilization process but if it's reducing a threat then you can also consider that for a CCP.   I feel like I'm not convinced stabilization would be a CCP in either hot or cold sauce processing but again, I don't really know the process.

Thanked by 1 Member:

#3 foodguy63

foodguy63

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:16 PM

Hey jcieslowski, thanks for the input! This is the direction I was headed personally but without any experience, I wasn't sure if I was missing something. As far as I understand, the only other ingredients will be IQF vegetables.

As far as the stabilization in a cooked sauce, it depends on the sauce plan we are utilizing. Any plans that include ingredients with potential for spore formers we include a stabilization CCP to ensure we control that hazard.

#4 jcieslowski

jcieslowski

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 129 posts
  • 46 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:23 PM

Sounds to me like you're on the right path then!

In my past we made a 'chicken Parmesan' dish that was a frozen chicken patty with a ready to eat pasta sauce and our only CCP was for foreign material, and only because we got the sauce from a can that we had to open.  When we later switched to 'pouched' sauce, we relied on our supplier approval program and their food safety measures (their CCP was metal detection) and had no ccps.

Thanked by 1 Member:

#5 FurFarmandFork

FurFarmandFork

QA Manager/FS Blogger

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,064 posts
  • 482 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:54 PM

Hey all,

I'm looking for some advice on how to go about defining CCP's for a "cold sauce" (sauce that is not cooked). My facility currently produces a large variety of cooked sauces, but this is our first attempt at an uncooked sauce. Typically, our general plan for sauce consists of a cooking CCP, stabilization CCP, and some foreign material rejection CCP (i.e. metal detection or x-ray). WIth a cold sauce, would you just have a CCP ensuring stabilization is consistent as there is no "cooking"? Or do you need to provide a substitute CCP for "cooking"?

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

Foodguy63

Are these refrigerated/frozen or shelf stable?

QA Manager and food safety blogger in Oregon, USA.

Interested in more information on food safety and science? Check out Furfarmandfork.com for more insights!

Subscribe to have one post per week delivered straight to your inbox.

#6 foodguy63

foodguy63

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:21 PM

They will be freezer meals.

#7 Scampi

Scampi

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,549 posts
  • 442 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 September 2018 - 01:48 PM

Even though you will be freezing this product, you still need a lethality step of some kind..........you need to prove you're product is safe

I'm assuming you're assuming your customer will heat this at home, but you cannot depend on them doing that correctly

are you relying on finished pH alone?

RTE needs to be free from pathogens regardless of how it's stored

#8 foodguy63

foodguy63

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:16 PM

Scampi, that's the question I am trying to answer. It is a cold sauce preparation that has no heat lethality step. These preparations seem to be gaining popularity with quick set starches. Finished pH doesn't equal a lethality step either correct? Short of ensuring the product and it's ingredients never exceed 40 degrees F or 4 degrees C, I don't know of an applicable lethality step. 

This would be an NRTE product and would require a consumer lethality step, but I agree that this alone is not enough.

#9 Scampi

Scampi

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,549 posts
  • 442 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:24 PM

So I understand the reasoning, the powers that be want to do a cold sauce because it's cheaper to buy the starch than cook?

The only way you can do this, is send tons (and i mean tons) of samples out for micro under WORST case scenario to see the micro load AND then use the suggested method of cooking, run micro again to PROVE that on your worst day, your product will not make anyone sick

OR could you use low temp pasteurization?  Depending on product type/finished pH your heat treatment could be quite mild........products with a pH below 3.3 do not always require thermal treatment

Is there a protein in the mix is that why you're calling it NRTE?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

EV SSL Certificate