• Quick Navigation
Photo

Implementing SQF, how to train the team leads?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Nemo's Friend

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 33 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:18 PM

Hello IFSQN Friends,

We are implementing SQF without any outside consultant help. We have a couple of people who have been exposed to SQF but not really knowing the steps to implementing the requirements, more like verifying and validating programs. I come from an SQF background as well (what was then known in 2013 as Level 1). Now I'm with a new company and the SQF Coordinator but don't feel confident in leading the implementation as my past experience was well over 5 years ago and a consultant helped us implement the program. I am the only person in the company who has the most exposure to SQF.

Management is on board and we have 3 core teams with different team leads of Production on the teams. I have broken down every section of Mod 2 and Mod 13 into action item lists to make it easier for the team leads to know what to do. 

Can anyone give me advice on how I should train the team leads? What is important for them to know going into the implementation and maintenance of SQF? 

This is something new to them and asking them to put programs together from an action item list may be too much.... We don't have any written programs or procedures so everything has to be developed.

Any advice is much appreciated!

FSQA

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 315 posts
  • 126 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:45 PM

Julie,

There are various training courses that are offered online on implementing SQF. Another better way is to go through the SQF Code and see the GAPs that you have at your facility.

IFSQN also offers a good package, which can address your query:

https://www.ifsqn.co...g-manufacturers

Miri

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:55 PM

I have found that giving people a nice, printed and bound copy of SQF's "General Guidance for Developing, Documenting, Implementing, Maintaining and Auditing an SQF System" is super helpful.  Not only does it list each element and tell you what the expectation is, it also includes plain English sections called "What does it mean? and "What do I have to do?"  

And to help them with writing procedures, find examples of the format you want, and use them as a template to get started.  

I am in the same position as you, only I have never done SQF before at all.  I ended up purchasing the packet of templates/examples from IFSQN.  It's pricey, but was a big help.

Ryan H.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 166 posts
  • 56 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Sports, traveling

Posted 11 September 2018 - 03:01 PM

Julie: Someone will need to be the SQF Practitioner. Your going to want to start the process by getting some formal training. There are many place that offer this. It's called Implementing SQF Systems. I would suggest this be near the top of your list to get going. 

All the best, 

Ryan Heavner 

3560lynne

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 23 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:11 PM

I second the purchasing of the materials. Hindsight, I would have purchased them the day I was told I'd be in charge of the implementation and documentation of the SQF Code. I think I see the light now but I have wasted time being confused and second guessing over and over again. 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:29 AM

Hi Julie - buy the IFSQN SQF development program. Take the SQF Practitioner course and an internal auditor training program. Round it all out by having a,consultant at least conduct a mid to end phase consulting SQF Compliance Audit.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

sqflady

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 250 posts
  • 63 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:25 PM

As others have said, designate an SQF Practitioner.  Then start writing your policies, following the SQF Code.  Writing your policies will allow you to identify what you are doing currently and help to identify the gaps.  

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:00 PM

You need to understand the process inside and out before you can train anyone on anything. 

Step 1--SQFP et all training

Step 2--Ensure your hazard analysis is robust enough to cover ALL hazards and not just the obvious ones

Step 3--Decide who is responsible for what

Step 4--train lead hands on procedures

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Brendan Triplett

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 511 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Rugby, Military History, Reading

Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:50 PM

Hey Julie,

We had a lot of success sending our team through HACCP training as a good baseline (HACCP training being required for the SQFP anyway). It laid the groundwork for them preparing to enter into SQF and got them in the mindset of food safety. Since our HACCP team and our SQF team mirror each other we then assigned sections and reviewed them at our meetings. it will take some time to form your core group but keep them active and find ways to get them involved to a point where they take “ownership” of the program. Think of this a project management type job. Delegate and peer review. The team will develop together and become stronger for it.

The higher level leaders in the program went through the Implementing SQF with the NSF. It was excellent, though pricey. Everyone has the right idea though, train yourself and get up to speed. The auditor will know withina few questions if you are set to be the practitioner and will definitely ask for credentials.

Vice President and SQF Practitioner in Pennsylvania
Brendan Triplett

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users