• Quick Navigation
Photo

How can a packaging material can be considered safe for organic food?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Loren

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 79 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:45 AM

Hi All,

I have a customer asking me for a statement regarding our packaging material's compliance to organic requirement. Can anybody help me or give some explanation on how a packaging material can be considered safe for organic food?

He mentioned about compliance to 7 CFR 201.272 b(1) but I don't really have enough information regarding this regulation and cannot find it on the internet. Does anybody have a copy of this?

Thank you!

Loren

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:49 AM

Hi Loren,

There may be requirements for recycling performance etc. as well as meeting criteria for food packaging.

I would go back to the customer and ask them to give you specific requirements and the correct reference.

Kind regards,

Tony

Brendan Triplett

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 511 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Rugby, Military History, Reading

Posted 03 October 2018 - 09:12 AM

Loren,

This code isn't right.  It is bringing me to Federal Seed Act Regulations.  I agree with Tony on this one. They will need to give you some greater guidance on the the actual code that they are measuring you against.

I did however find this paper on organic food packaging from the International Trade Center.  It is long and has a lot of info and also a lot of fluff:

Attached File  Packaging for Organic Foods.pdf   1.84MB   63 downloads

Hope it helps.

Cheers!

Vice President and SQF Practitioner in Pennsylvania
Brendan Triplett

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:37 PM

Your link took me to this

7 CFR 205.272 - Commingling and contact with prohibited substance prevention practice standard.
prev | next
§ 205.272 Commingling and contact with prohibited substance prevention practice standard.

(a) The handler of an organic handling operation must implement measures necessary to prevent the commingling of organic and nonorganic products and protect organic products from contact with prohibited substances.

(b) The following are prohibited for use in the handling of any organically produced agricultural product or ingredient labeled in accordance with subpart D of this part:

(1) Packaging materials, and storage containers, or bins that contain a synthetic fungicide, preservative, or fumigant;

(2) The use or reuse of any bag or container that has been in contact with any substance in such a manner as to compromise the organicintegrity of any organically produced product or ingredient placed in those containers, unless such reusable bag or container has been thoroughly cleaned and poses no risk of contact of the organically produced product or ingredient with the substance used.

So basically your customer is asking whether or not you REUSE containers for any purpose (and BTW in Canada you CANNOT reuse containers from part (1) above)  hope that helps

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Watanka

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 109 posts
  • 50 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:53 PM

USDA National Organic Program accredited certifying body Oregon Tilth has good information on packaging materials for organic products.  https://tilth.org/kn...nd-commingling/

Their website can give you information on obtaining an organic certification.

Good luck!

aaallen

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:41 PM

Loren,

Our certifier CCOF mentioned this in a recent audit. Specifically the b1 statement that no synthetic fungicide, preservative, or fumigant are used. The FDA allows the use in food grade bags, but they would not be organic compliant. If you could get your supplier to provide the statement for the bags/packaging in question, then they would be compliant. I believe this is only required for direct food contact surface packaging. And let me know if you can find a good supplier of drum liners that comply, I'm having a hard time getting them.

Thanks, Amy

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users