• Quick Navigation
Photo

Should I be viewing the food manufacturing plant as my consumer?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic
- - - - -

lara_80

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 October 2018 - 03:47 PM

I am trying to write the policies for FSSC 22000, but I come from the distribution world. In the food packaging standards (we make glass bottles) they talk about the "consumer" and or "customer". As I am reviewing their HACCP plan in place it seems to focus more on the food manufacturing plants that will be receiving our product and the dangers to them, is that the way it should be or should we be focused on what risks would be to the customer after the manufacturing plant has put the contents in the bottle? For example if the Annealing does not occur then of course when the food manufacture goes to fill our glass the glass will blow up. That could cause significant risk if we do not have a control point in place, but the risk is not for the consumer.....should I be viewing the food manufacturing plant as my consumer?

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 October 2018 - 05:02 PM

The manufacturer is your customer

The end user is the consumer

So in terms of glass containers, they need to be safe for the contents AND processing the manufacturer will use

For the end user, your glass shouldn't contain anything that MAY react with contents rendering the food within unfit for consumption

We purchase our glass from domestic and international sources.............the FDA does recognize glass as GRAS (generally regarded as safe), but the onus is on you to ensure your glass does not contain, say lead, and that they are the correct container for each application 

Hope that helps

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 16 October 2018 - 03:19 AM

I am trying to write the policies for FSSC 22000, but I come from the distribution world. In the food packaging standards (we make glass bottles) they talk about the "consumer" and or "customer". As I am reviewing their HACCP plan in place it seems to focus more on the food manufacturing plants that will be receiving our product and the dangers to them, is that the way it should be or should we be focused on what risks would be to the customer after the manufacturing plant has put the contents in the bottle? For example if the Annealing does not occur then of course when the food manufacture goes to fill our glass the glass will blow up. That could cause significant risk if we do not have a control point in place, but the risk is not for the consumer.....should I be viewing the food manufacturing plant as my consumer?

Hi lauralsalah,

HACCP objective is  to provide the final consumer of the finished food product with a safe-to-eat, packaged food.

The HACCP system was initially based around the details of the flow chart of the  food "manufacturing" stage for which you are providing one "food grade" input.

Subsequently Packaging manufacturers borrowed/interpreted  food haccp methodologies to ensure the safety of their finished product.

You should probably regard yourself as a Packaging supplier whose Product safety "status" (ie "Food Grade") represents one "Prerequisite"  Input to the food manufacturing process. IIRC some food haccp texts, depending on the specifics, conceptualise the supplier to represent an "external" critical control point.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users