Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 26 March 2004 - 12:15 PM

The International Food Standard (IFS) has been approved by the Global Food Safety Initiative and is specified as a contractual requirement by a growing number of German and French retailers who no longer accept BRC Global Standard - Food Certification.

http://www.globalfoodsafety.com

http://www.food-care.info

Have you got any experience of the IFS standard?
Is there much difference between the BRC and IFS standards?
What are the ramifications for the BRC standards?
Is it time the Brits (BRC) consolidated with Europe (IFS)?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 29 March 2004 - 10:57 AM

I am currently working towards our first IFS audit at the end of April.

The standard is almost identical to the BRC, with just a few additions, but the big difference is that in IFS you get a score.

I will try and find something to attach on the scoring system but basically there are 4 level for each clause A, B, C, D ( A everything in place, D nothing in place). If you get a major non conformance 500 points are deducted and then it is difficult to pass....... I'll dig out an attachment to explain.

There are 5 clauses known as KO clauses (knock out) if you have not got these then don't go for the standard:

HACCP Determine a manageable amount of CCPs that are relevant for the specific sector

HACCP Establish a system to monitor control of thr CCPs, records shall be maintained. The defined CCps shall be under control.

Management Commitment The Organisation's directors shall ensure that all employees are aware of their responsibilities and mechanisms are in place to monitor the effectiveness of their operation.

Traceability The organisation shall demonstrate the ability to trace each product backward to processing plant and raw material organisations, and forwards to delivery point.

Corrective action Corrective actions shall be undertaken in a temely manner to prevent further occurence of non conformity.

Edited by yorkshire, 29 March 2004 - 10:58 AM.

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 29 March 2004 - 11:12 AM

Scoring

Attached Files

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 29 March 2004 - 01:26 PM

Hi Yorky,

It's interesting to hear that the standards are almost identical. I get it, the Germans et al. didn't want to adopt The (British) BRC Food Standard (why would they?) so they copied it, added a few bells and whistles and called it the 'International Food Standard.' Why can't these dim-witted bureaucrats get it together?

So when you are ready Yorky will you have a combined audit e.g. BRC/IFS or do you have to have separate audits to get the badges?

I do find the idea of scoring quite sexy and the KO sounds ace. Seriously scoring does allow customers to differentiate between higher and lower level performing suppliers, as well as providing suppliers with a baseline measure for continuous improvement.

I'm sure the 'International Packaging Standard (IPS)' won't be too far behind. You can hear a thousand UK Packaging Quality Professionals groan at the prospect of telling the MD - "Boss we got to get another badge."

I think SaferPak should try to initiate some dialogue with the British Retail Consortium to see what their position is regarding the future of the BRC Standards, possible consolidation with IFS etc. What do you think? Ideas?

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 March 2004 - 01:45 PM

Simon,

I think you hit the nail on the head that they didn't like the word "British" in the title. :thumbdown: Why do you think the BRC renamed it the "Global Food Standard"? :smarty:

The first copy I had of IFS, version 2, was definitely copied from the BRC as on the bottom of some pages it had "BRC Technical Standard version 2002". :oops2:

At the moment we are having a single audit against the IFS but the next one we have will be combined IFS / BRC

What we should all be pushing for is worldwide recognition of Global Food Safety Initiative recognised standards. This would mean that German retailers could accept the BRC and UK retailers accept the IFS.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 March 2004 - 02:08 PM

What we should all be pushing for is worldwide recognition of Global Food Safety Initiative recognised standards. This would mean that German retailers could accept the BRC and UK retailers accept the IFS.

Yes, :spoton:

Exactly and therein lies the difficulty. Perhaps we should just wait until the dust settles on this.

Regards,
Simon

Koko LMQ

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 122 posts
  • 28 thanks
Neutral

• Thailand
    Thailand

Posted 16 September 2004 - 07:02 PM

The totally differences of IFS (version 4 - Jan 2004) from BRC (issue 3 - March 2003) are Allergen Risk and Traceability - Genetically Modified Organism (GMO), the rests are sligtly changed, e.g. quality policy shall be addressed the environmental issue and ethics.

PSchnittger

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 22 September 2004 - 09:06 PM

As I have written at one of the other Topics, the main differences are the focus on HACCP and stuff from ISO 9001:2000.

And one other is coming in mind: IFS was since the beginning following ISO 19011.

Mit herzlichen Grüßen/ with kind regards

Peter Schnittger

Nicht das Optimale ist unser Ziel
- sondern der pragmatische Perfektionismus!

QRPS Management Consulting

ISO22000.de
QRPS.de
Lebensmittelforum.info

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users