Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya

Posted 01 November 2018 - 12:41 PM

In the  bid to ensure sustainable food sources in developing country and in light of SDG, the governments have intensified programs to ensure food security but they have forgotten the dark side of insecticide used on food by inexperienced  farmers who spray toxic substances unprotected and sell their products without observing PHI. Helping all of use commit suicide indirectly

There is a huge GAP in educating farmers on importance of using PPE and basic pesticide use for the safety of all of us sourcing food in local markets.

The local regulations should be bench marked to Export market regulations

Edited by mutero, 01 November 2018 - 12:43 PM.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 01 November 2018 - 12:51 PM

Couldn't agree more!  I believe a lot of the pesticides should be banned and we should return to using "good" bugs like nematodes and true lady bugs and praying mantis for pest control

I gather you are hearing about really poor on farm practices

I'm really fortunate at my current post, the vast majority of our field product is organic, so very limited on what can be used and we have much more stringent requirements for pesticide use AND for the types that are even available

I will say that Canada does randomly test imported products to ensure they are at or below our MRL's...........to high and entire load is rejected

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

mutero

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:29 AM

I totally agree. Organic farming is the only solution for sustainability of the ecosystem and the health of people. For you in Canada you seem lucky you are more protected. I wish all governments can put quality  regulations  of all fresh produce as a priority. Is the MRL check also done on locally grown products?

Lesley.Roberts

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 165 posts
  • 77 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:44 AM

Agriculture & purchasing material from developing countries requires a great deal of guidance from the outset as growers may not necessarily know the customer requirements or how to achieve them.

There is also the issue of how long these residues remain in the soil after application (sometimes this is years) there was an issue some years ago with lindane in cocoa beans, but as this builds up in the soil it was really difficult to mange when the chemical was banned in the EU.

The company I work for has a team of agronomists working with the growers in the sourcing countries & advising which pesticides are permitted & which are not.  Non conformances do still occur, but with less frequency as they are aware that their products will be tested & failing loads will be rejected.

Ideally we would like all our growers to sign up to global gap - but this is a cost & therefore you need to pay a fair price for your commodities to ensure that the supplier can recoup this cost & make a profit from their activities.  

mutero

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya

Posted 05 November 2018 - 12:06 PM

All producers for  local and export market should  embrace good agricultural practice. Awareness and enforcement for this is required. Though it is an expensive move, it is worth for the consumers who should also reward the growers by paying a little bit more. This is the only sure ware of sustainability n the ecosystem.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users