• Quick Navigation
Photo

Supplier Approval Program - Raw Materials supplied by customer

Share this

Best Answer , 07 November 2018 - 09:10 AM

Hi Xissa,

The point that FSQA made above is very interesting. Nevertheless, you still need to describe in your procedure how you handle this exception or particular case. In the procedure, things as documentation, specification and food safety requirements are to be included.

I would add, that it's important that the product reflects the customer's quality and food safety requirements. It may also not have a negative impact on the products for other customers or on your operation.

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

xissa

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:24 PM

Hi Everyone,

Our facility blends and packages tea. It is easy to understand which documents I need when we get raw materials from supplier and manufacture for many different customers, however; some customers of ours supply us with the raw materials as well as the packaging materials. We use the customer supplied raw materials to manufacture only for that specific customer who supplied the raw materials. So, my question is: How does this scenario fit into our supplier approval program? Do we treat the customer like any other supplier and ask them to supply those same documents? I would appreciate any insight.

Thank you.

Ivy101

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:43 PM

Yes, same criteria/requirement based on your documented Approved Supplier Program. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,412 posts
  • 999 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:11 PM

They are supplying you with materials. They need to be an approved supplier with all the requisite requirements per your existing policies.

Marshall

Thanked by 1 Member:

FSQA

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 315 posts
  • 126 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:17 PM

Can't exceptions be made in this case as the product is only going back to the supplier/customer, based on the following discussion:

https://www.ifsqn.co...proval-process/

Thanked by 1 Member:

Gerard H.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 411 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• France
    France

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:10 AM   Best Answer

Hi Xissa,

The point that FSQA made above is very interesting. Nevertheless, you still need to describe in your procedure how you handle this exception or particular case. In the procedure, things as documentation, specification and food safety requirements are to be included.

I would add, that it's important that the product reflects the customer's quality and food safety requirements. It may also not have a negative impact on the products for other customers or on your operation.

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

Thanked by 1 Member:

Sweet_Lew

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 17 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 November 2018 - 04:56 PM

Good morning Xissa,

I have clients with similar business models.Consignment partners are set up as customers. The Supplier Verification Program should have verbiage which addresses consignment partner's suppliers, requiring documentation from the consignment partner such as; their supplier verification program, letter of guarantee which states they're liable for any process food safety contamination due to product supplied by their suppliers. This along with the process risk assessment  should be acceptable.

Thanked by 1 Member:

xissa

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:09 PM

Thank you all for the responses! I am leaning towards what Gerard H. and FSQA has suggested. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,493 posts
  • 1512 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:23 PM

The only portion in this scenario where  I would consider the supplier approval is whether there is a risk to the facility when these items arrive

So perhaps all you need is a CoA that the teas have been sterilized or irradiated (they are plants after all) prior to receiving at your facility and free from allergens.

Xissa, starting sooner than you would like you'll be covered under the new SFCR........and as such I suggest you also follow the FSEP manual in which you will see this is also covered under:

(B) Transportation, Purchasing/Receiving/Shipping and Storage (see section 3.1.1.2)

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users