Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 November 2018 - 10:08 AM

Please can someone help me with best practice for the control of meat dropped on the floor ?

Brendan Triplett

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 511 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Rugby, Military History, Reading

Posted 12 November 2018 - 11:05 AM

Progression,

Are you looking to control it from happening or what actions to take in the event that it happens?

Vice President and SQF Practitioner in Pennsylvania
Brendan Triplett

Progression Food

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 November 2018 - 11:10 AM

Hi there

I'm looking for best practice corrective action if it does happen.

Brendan Triplett

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 511 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 November 2018 - 11:16 AM

I believe this was addressed once before in the forums.  Let me know if this helps:

https://www.ifsqn.co...d-on-the-floor/

Brendan Triplett

Progression Food

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 November 2018 - 11:21 AM

Thank you. I have already read this discussion.

However, I don't believe the use of 'washing' meat products, post contamination is permitted in the UK ?

Brendan Triplett

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 511 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 November 2018 - 11:43 AM

You can allow it in some cases.  I found this for the FSA in the UK

Dropped meat policy - procedures depend on the size of the piece of meat and the extent and nature of any possible contamination.  Large pieces of red meat or in-skin poultry carcasses should be trimmed immediately of visible contamination before processing is resumed.  Pieces that are not suitable for trimming should be disposed of as unfit food.

Check this site - page 11

https://www.food.gov...-Processing.pdf

Brendan Triplett

Progression Food

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 November 2018 - 11:58 AM

The MIG is the only place  can find reference to Dropped Meat Controls.

I also found these management examples which I think are pretty sensible.

1) Make sure you have responsible management individuals in charge of reworking that's done for product that falls on the floor. This shouldn't be a regular production employee unless they've been trained and you've verified them performing the procedure.

2) Designate equipment only for rework of product that has fallen on the floor and make sure it is cleaned and sanitized after every use. (Yellow handled knives or some way to distinguish equipment) Make sure employee clothes/gloves are changed after handling product.

3) Designate an area where the product is taken in a timely manner and make sure it's not in contact with other pieces of meat. (Make sure this area is sanitized after every use also)

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 November 2018 - 03:14 PM

Wash AND trim

Pick up 

Wash (in designated wash sink)

Trim

Inspect

Trim again if necessary

Wash again

Back into production

Assuming this is whole muscle and NOT trim/ground

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

BigGaz1982

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 November 2018 - 03:29 PM

If you're going to re-work meat that has hit the deck, you're going to have a lot of work to do to control it.

Furthermore, the meat industry has been under-fire since the horese-gate scandal, and that hasn't gone away with events of 2017 with the 2 Sisters Chicken Scandal and the 2018 Russel Hume Food Safety scare that killed the company.

Meat is on the radar for even more reasons - with the vegan movement picking up pace and putting a lot of pressure on meat eaters and manufacturers.#

Whilst these things may not be directly linked, you have to consider them when it comes to the handling of meat. You need to ask yourself a few questions;

1. What would happen if a disgruntled employee leaked the information to the media?

2. What will happen during a visit if this is seen by the certification bodies, vets, or other authorities?

3. What are the financial implications of each drop, how frequent is this, and what is the annual cost?

4. What is the cost of implementing a system of control versus the cost of drops per year?

I would suggest that unless you can appease the FSA with the system - it may not be worth it.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 November 2018 - 03:49 PM

Ok I feel to be the voice of reason here

Whole muscle cuts CAN and quite frankly, should be trimmed if dropped (although the caveat is if it happens alot the way the line is set up should be addressed to prevent this from happening.

Whole poultry (skin on) can be trimmed, as like  our skin, it is impervious. Now, this must happen IMMEDIATELY upon it being dropped, by an employee who'd dedicated to this task

Whole muscle cuts..........bacteria CANNOT rapidly penetrate the meat, so again IMMEDIATELY pickup, and follow the steps I posted above.

BTW the sale price/lb of let's say beef tenderloin is about $8/lb from the processor, and $20/lb once it lands at the grocery store...............so yes our food must be safe, but if no one can afford to eat it, its a moot point

The 2 sisters (whole horrible and beyond the pale) plant had fundamental issues with MANAGEMENT commitment..........this has nothing to do with reworking primal cuts of meat

Russel Hume---again this is a management commitment issue. A GOOD plant with GOOD practices and GOOD employees with a sound management commitment Can and Should be retrieving this product.

I am speaking from experience here.........ran micro on dropped/trim (with out trimming employee knowing) and results were identical to non-dropped product.

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users