Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:41 PM

I was hoping someone could offer some information.  Our company produces filled pasta (ravioli and tortelloni).  The product is produced and then refrigerated (< 40 F) or frozen (<0 F).  It is sold refrigerated to local restaurants and in the frozen section of food chain stores.  One of our customers has comeback and questioned us about the potential of Clostridium Botulinum.  We are flushing the finished product during packaging with a MAP system, but what does that mean for Preventing C. Botulinum? 

My thinking is the product is refrigerated at temperatures to retard growth, and boiling kills the bacteria.  The customer is asking for a scheduled process similar to what you get when you are jarring/canning sauce but I'm not sure we need one?

I really appreciate any information or advise the group can offer.

Thank you very much.

Scott Edwards

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:57 PM

Hi Scott,

I did a fair bit of research on this recently for 2 clients who had supermarkets asking for C. botulinum testing.

I found this guide by the UK Food Safety Authority and Guidance Note 20 form the Irish Food safety Authority which helped us a lot. 

Attached Files

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:42 PM

I was hoping someone could offer some information.  Our company produces filled pasta (ravioli and tortelloni).  The product is produced and then refrigerated (< 40 F) or frozen (<0 F).  It is sold refrigerated to local restaurants and in the frozen section of food chain stores.  One of our customers has comeback and questioned us about the potential of Clostridium Botulinum.  We are flushing the finished product during packaging with a MAP system, but what does that mean for Preventing C. Botulinum? 

My thinking is the product is refrigerated at temperatures to retard growth, and boiling kills the bacteria.  The customer is asking for a scheduled process similar to what you get when you are jarring/canning sauce but I'm not sure we need one?

I really appreciate any information or advise the group can offer.

Thank you very much.

Scott Edwards

Hi Scott,

There appears to be some confusion. MAP technology is intended to extend shelf life, not prevent a FS risk due C.Botulinum. In fact it may assist to create a risk due to C.botulinum..  Here is a brief  summary of the C. botulinum  problem -

Clostridium botulinum in Vacuum Packed Food

Clostridium botulinum cannot multiply on food stored where there is oxygen. However, certain food packaging methods, including canning, vacuum packaging, and modified atmosphere packaging, can create a suitable environment for the bacterium to grow. During vacuum packaging, air is removed and the food is enclosed in an airtight package. For modified atmosphere packaging, air in the package is replaced with one or several gases such as carbon dioxide and nitrogen. By excluding or greatly reducing oxygen levels, these packaging methods can prevent the growth of many spoilage microorganisms and pathogens that require oxygen to grow and thus increase the shelf-life of chilled foods. Yet, vacuum and modified atmospheric packaging does not involve a strict thermal process designed to destroy the spores of Clostridium botulinum, the spores may persist. In addition to the cases reported in Taiwan , incidents of botulism associated with smoked fish in these packages have also been reported in other countries.

https://www.cfs.gov...._fsf_46_01.html

Offhand, the situation for frozen and chilled goods is typically different with the C.botulinum hazard being primarily associated with the latter (see attachments previous Post).

In UK, chilled  vacpack/MAP foods are subject to legal constraints regarding shelf life as has been discussed here many times, notably via attachments in Post 2 and others.

I'm unfamiliar  with US situation but i  anticipate there will also be some legal aspects involved.

Do you have  haccp plans for yr products ? These would be expected to address the potential  hazard of microbiological species including  C.botulinum.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:50 PM

addendum

JFI here is a US, UNDATED, document discussing requirements for certain ROP (reduced oxygen packaging) products and including a sample haccp plan for ROP, hot smoked salmon.

Attached File  ROP packaging - haccp plan.pdf   132.47KB   86 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:27 PM

here are articles that studied fresh pasta and botulism that may be of assistance

http://jfoodprotecti...2-028X-54.3.162

https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/9713759

https://yayyayskitch...eadly-botulism/        this includes fresh herbs that may be used 

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:52 PM

Hi Scampi,

I don't know about Canada or (current) USA but the critical feature in UK for process-related  chilled foods (raw and RTE)  is  that shelf life control  is a LEGAL  issue.

I suggest that Scott seeks some expert technical assistance asap.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV