• Quick Navigation
Photo

Critical Control Points for Cucumber Greenhouse?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

nlesperance

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Ballet

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:04 PM

Hi Everyone!

I am working on our HACCP program, and I'm kind of struggling when it comes to CCP's!  I'm not sure about other GFSI audit schemes, but I know the new version of PrimusGFS (effective January, 2019) requires a breakdown of CCP's. I work at a greenhouse where we grow and distribute cucumbers. They aren't cooked or sliced, they just come off the farm and are packaged into shrink wrap film. What would some critical control points be? I honestly can't think of any and have tried researching it!

Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Nic

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:16 PM

Hi Nic

Given the number of English cucumber recalls, I would add salmonella testing of some description as a CCP. It clearly has become an issue in your industry that has not been eradicated as yet...........

If your hydro cooling or washing prior to sleeving/packaging, then the chemical level in that water could be a CCP (but doesn't need to be)

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

nlesperance

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:20 PM

Hi Nic

Given the number of English cucumber recalls, I would add salmonella testing of some description as a CCP. It clearly has become an issue in your industry that has not been eradicated as yet...........

If your hydro cooling or washing prior to sleeving/packaging, then the chemical level in that water could be a CCP (but doesn't need to be)

I could definitely look into perhaps more frequent testing for Salmonella of the actual product. I do microbiological swabbing monthly of the equipment, but that is not a CCP.

And no, we don't hydro-cool or wash prior to packaging!

Thank you for the suggestion :)

Lesley.Roberts

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 165 posts
  • 77 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:53 PM

Hi there 

This question has been asked before - this might be of some use.

https://www.ifsqn.co...liflower-haccp/

Salmonella in cucumbers has been a hot topic in 2018 - on both sides of the Atlantic and, as yet, I don't think the actual cause has been stated.

I'm currently working with freeze dried fruit & vegetables - there is no kill step in this process.  Therefore supplier control is really important & all our suppliers are obliged to be GAP accredited or to show that they are working towards this certification. The packing plants need to be accredited & audited also.

Due to the non homogenous nature of the product - end point product testing (no matter how frequent) can't be cited as a control measure - just a confirmation that suppliers are following their CCPs adequately

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:54 PM

Hi nlesperance,

I deduce you intend to get certification for Primus GFS.

No direct experience of this product  or Primus  but from previous threads i seem to recall  that Primus offer considerable Guidance material for their Standards.

Yr "Packinghouse" flowchart would presumably be approx.  - (1) receive (somehow) > (2)stored (somehow) .> (3)packed (somehow) > (4)stored (somehow) > (5) "shipped" (somehow)

The typical traditional haccp plan would cover 1-4

A traditional hazard analysis is typically based on risk to "final consumer" including user's preparation. i assume this product is effectively sold as RTE.

Crudely, the initial likely hazards are those (BCPA) introduced with the raw material (say "X"), plus later factors promoting growth of any (micro) hazards in "X" (eg storage temperature control,  processing-packing  environment temp) plus any cross-contamination factors impacting the product (eg hygiene of environment, personnel, facilities)

Theoretically all the above could be handled via PRP functions if such an approach is acceptable to Primus.

However, just as a comparison example, there are older threads here where finished, packed, chilled- frozen goods are received/stored/shipped. This is an even simpler process than present one however IIRC the storage temperature was set as a CCP for chilled (hazard = micro growth) since that particular standard (not Primus) (somehow) expected this approach.

So it may "depend."

PS - I wasn't aware that cucumbers have apparently acquired a certain micro. notoriety recently. This may obviously have a potential impact on the risk assessment of raw material for haccp plan (eg see previous post).

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:18 PM

We grow cucumbers in our new greenhouse operation.

There are no CCP's.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:07 AM

There are no CCP's.

Hi SQFC,

Thks.

Is this under PrimusGFS Standard?

Not my area at all but is "Greenhouse operation"  typically interpreted from a  "Primus-type POV" to only refer to the postgate process ? (as I recall  Primus standard is usually categorised  as covering a Packinghouse  process)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

nlesperance

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:30 PM

There are no CCP's.

Thank you! That is what I thought.

nlesperance

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:31 PM

Hi SQFC,

Thks.

Is this under PrimusGFS Standard?

Not my area at all but is "Greenhouse operation"  typically interpreted from a  "Primus-type POV" to only refer to the postgate process ? (as I recall  Primus standard is usually categorised  as covering a Packinghouse  process)

PrimusGFS covers both the agricultural aspect as well as the packinghouse.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:30 PM

PrimusGFS covers both the agricultural aspect as well as the packinghouse.

Thks.

I had a quick look at the GFS Standard,2.1-2. Seems to concentrate on pre- rather than post-"farmgate".

I noticed this -

HACCP  

a.  This module will not be applicable to field operations, i.e. for activities carried out only in the growing area at farm level.

Is "greenhouse" not a (partial?) "field" operation ?

Just curious.

PS - Fresh Produce production has always been a (haccp) debate in respect to CCP interpretation due usual lack of any overt, substantial, bactericidal stage.

Originally there were often multiple micro./chemical  CCPs at the raw material receiving step. These were later considered as able to be "slid" into the PRP program for (mostly)  pragmatic reasons. This manoeuvre then theoretically focuses emphasis/control on the Supplier function but which is not always so easy to operationally validate/verify. Hence the frequent arguments.

haccp sponsors subjectivity. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

nlesperance

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:40 PM

Thks.

I had a quick look at the GFS Standard,2.1-2. Seems to concentrate on pre- rather than post-"farmgate".

I noticed this -

Is "greenhouse" not a (partial?) "field" operation ?

Just curious.

PS - Fresh Produce production has always been a (haccp) debate in respect to CCP interpretation due usual lack of any overt, substantial, bactericidal stage.

Originally there were often multiple micro./chemical  CCPs at the raw material receiving step. These were later considered as able to be "slid" into the PRP program for (mostly)  pragmatic reasons. This manoeuvre then theoretically focuses emphasis/control on the Supplier function but which is not always so easy to operationally validate/verify. Hence the frequent arguments.

haccp sponsors subjectivity. :smile:

PrimusGFS is divided into several modules and categories that goes over all aspects of the greenhouse i.e. harvest crew, packing house (GMP), HACCP, etc.

PrimusGFS version 3.0 is even more extensively divided, separating Farm and Indoor Agriculture, Harvest Crew, GMPs, HACCP, and Preventive Control!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:31 PM

PrimusGFS is divided into several modules and categories that goes over all aspects of the greenhouse i.e. harvest crew, packing house (GMP), HACCP, etc.

PrimusGFS version 3.0 is even more extensively divided, separating Farm and Indoor Agriculture, Harvest Crew, GMPs, HACCP, and Preventive Control!

Hi nl,

thks but I am confused, ie -

A greenhouse (also called a glasshouse, or, if with sufficient heating, a hothouse) is a structure with walls and roof made chiefly of transparent material, such as glass, in which plants requiring regulated climatic conditions are grown. These structures range in size from small sheds to industrial-sized buildings. A miniature greenhouse is known as a cold frame. The interior of a greenhouse exposed to sunlight becomes significantly warmer than the external ambient temperature, protecting its contents in cold weather.

Many commercial glass greenhouses or hothouses are high tech production facilities for vegetables or flowers. The glass greenhouses are filled with equipment including screening installations, heating, cooling, lighting, and may be controlled by a computer to optimize conditions for plant growth. Different techniques are then used to evaluate optimality-degrees and comfort ratio of greenhouse micro-climate (i.e., air temperature, relative humidity and vapor pressure deficit) in order to reduce production risk prior to cultivation of a specific crop.

As i understand your  "Greenhouse" also contains the "Packinghouse" within it ?

American re-definition perhaps ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:40 PM

Charles, around southern Ontario (where I am) the greenhouses are enormous and all have their own packinghouses so product doesn't have to be shipped twice!!!

A new greenhouse was just built that is a million square feet!  

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:55 PM

Charles, around southern Ontario (where I am) the greenhouses are enormous and all have their own packinghouses so product doesn't have to be shipped twice!!!

A new greenhouse was just built that is a million square feet!  

Thks.

So yet another adulteration of English Language. :rolleyes:

I didn't mention it in my post but, IIRC, Primus also have  FS Standards for "Packinghouses" only. Maybe latter Standard excludes "Greenhouses" though. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users