Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:30 PM

Has anyone used these OSHA compliant headphones?

I have the people in the office suggesting that they would be beneficial to employees for a morale boost.

My reservations are that they would fall under the SQF clause: 11.3.4.1 Jewelry and other loose objects shall not be worn or taken into a food handling or processing operation or any area where food is exposed.  

I feel like I would then have to regulate phones/ipods on the production floor, that employees are not changing the songs, and then potentially being on their phones. I am also thinking I would then have to monitor them within my glass and brittle plastic program so that there are no missing parts, cracks, etc. 

I feel like this would be opening a can of worms that I do not necessarily want to open, but I am looking for opinions. 

TIA

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:40 PM

if you're talking about this style

https://www.harborfr...uffs-43768.html

then they would not fall under 11.3.4.1 as they are neither jewelry or loose objects

I would not suggest blue tooth compatible for the reasons you mention.......but if you can get radio signals inside the plant you can get ones with built in radios.............but yes, then you have to monitor for touching them to change the station

if you purchase good ones, the are NOT made of brittle plastic and you would not have to include them in that program either

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

FSQA

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 315 posts
  • 126 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:45 PM

IMO this is about adding another hazard in you production area.

Beside employee safety, this can be a potential Food safety issue in terms of physical contamination and later as a microbial contamination.

It might be a good idea for any other industry, but I would stay away from it, and will agree to as you said " this would be opening a can of worms that I do not necessarily want to open".

Ruthie1

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 December 2018 - 09:32 PM

These headphones automatically turn down the volume when you are being spoken to, apparently. And they are OSHA approved, so the safety department sees no problem with them.

But I just feel like from a food safety standpoint it would require a ton of audits to make sure everyone is in compliance, and would still pose potential contamination hazards. 

The reasoning I am getting is that one of the big beef producers is doing it, so why wouldn't we?

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 684 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 December 2018 - 01:13 PM

So, owned by and maintained / replaced by the company, sanitizing and inspection program as well as monitoring usage. It seems like a lot of cost. Cell phones being allowed on the production floor would be a major issue too: justification to your auditor, proof that they pose no food safety issue (good luck with that one!) as well as having to add them to your glass and brittle plastic register and monitor that... Can of worms for sure. Sounds like this originated from HR as well as being a way to justify cell phones on the production floor. Surely there are other incentives to boost morale? Is it worth risking a major non-conformance or the cost involved to administer and monitor it?

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 20 December 2018 - 01:40 PM

And if a person can't hear a forklift and gets hit? It isn't just food safety that we should be thinking about.

-Setanta         

3560lynne

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 23 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 December 2018 - 01:54 PM

I had ear buds taken off the production floor upon arriving here. I'm all for enjoying your job but as already stated, it's a distraction. I have seen employees not answer someone right next to them because they can't hear them. If that was an emergency situation and someone was screaming turn off the machine, well, I pulled them. Everyone hates me but I think it was in their best interest for personnel safety and food safety concerns. 

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 December 2018 - 02:01 PM

I agree with all of the above.... main issue being if you allow cell phones on the floor, you are opening one HUGE can of food safety worms.

Edited by MsMars, 20 December 2018 - 02:02 PM.

MrHillman

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 December 2018 - 04:26 PM

I can't see them being used without some hand to ear contact. Why not a radio the stations could be rotated at breaktimes?

adamperry2235

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 52 posts
  • 18 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 December 2018 - 05:05 PM

What kind of business? What are the risks associated with the headphones other than the potential for people to be on their phones? Are they already allowed to have their phones on them? I have a set of noise cancelling headphones that I wear, with buttons to change the song and whatnot on the side. I don't even have to look at my phone. But they can also present a problem with properly wearing hair coverings. You know your business and how it works better than most, if you think they would be acceptable and the rest of management is on board then go for it. Just make sure you have done the risk analysis on it to justify why they are or are not allowed. 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 20 December 2018 - 11:48 PM

When you initially said headphones I thought you meant the safety type to protect ones hearing and with prper risk assessment that could be ok.

However, once you went into music I thought NIX THAT!

I have been in facilities that put them into effect and removed them quickly due to the constant distracton caused and what became inattention to their work.

Combined with them bring a sanitation issue, etc.

Not a good idea.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Ruthie1

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 December 2018 - 04:35 AM

Thank you all for the replies. I personally do not want the headphones. I think they are more trouble than they are worth. I would have to find an employee to do inspections, audits that people aren't on their phone, people dont touch their ears with their gloves on, etc. I was just looking for others opinions to back me up. Seems like I'm always the bad guy.

These headphones are supposed to turn off the music when you are being spoken to, so the safety team thinks they are a good idea.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 21 December 2018 - 01:21 PM

Thank you all for the replies. I personally do not want the headphones. I think they are more trouble than they are worth. I would have to find an employee to do inspections, audits that people aren't on their phone, people dont touch their ears with their gloves on, etc. I was just looking for others opinions to back me up. Seems like I'm always the bad guy.

These headphones are supposed to turn off the music when you are being spoken to, so the safety team thinks they are a good idea.

You/We are QA. We will always be the bad guy. Embrace it.  Tell people you are helping to keep them employed. :x_biggrin:

-Setanta         

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 December 2018 - 01:46 PM

You/We are QA. We will always be the bad guy. Embrace it.  Tell people you are helping to keep them employed. :x_biggrin:

I always like to remind everyone that I did not get into the food safety business to make friends.  :biggrin:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users