• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is this SQF Implementation Contract Realistic?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Microbiologist Scientist

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 91 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 December 2018 - 07:33 AM

A manufacturing packaging company wants to give me a contract to develop their food safety plan (SQF standards). According to what I can read about the contract there are many things that do not suit me. I would like you to give me your opinion about it. The Exhibit A says:

Development of a Food Safety Plan and implement the processes to The Company Operations

adequate to pass an SQF audit.

It also says:   

Development of a Food Safety program for

The Company sufficient to pass and SQF audit. This will include a HACCP, GMP, and other necessary documents specific to our Company (I only have until January 31 and we haven't even started. I have less than a month and a half) (All this for $15/hour.)

Here I write some of the details of the contract:

1. Delivery.  Upon each delivery date specified in Exhibit A, Contractor shall deliver the corresponding Deliverable to the Company's' approval.  Within fifteen (15) days thereafter, the Company shall inspect such Deliverable to test its conformity with the specifications set forth in Exhibit A.  If a Deliverable does not conform to the specifications: (i) The Company shall notify Contractor; (ii) Contractor shall, without further compensation, bring such Deliverable into conformity with the specifications; and (iii) Contractor shall re-deliver such completed Deliverable to The Company in accordance with this Section.

2.1. Invoicing.  Contractor shall charge to The Company the rate set forth in Exhibit A for time spent by Contractor performing Services.  Upon the last day of each calendar month during which Contractor has performed Services for The Company, Contractor shall deliver to The Company a written invoice accurately setting forth: (i) the times during which Contractor performed Services for The Company; (ii) a description of the Services performed; and (iii) the total amount due.  The Company shall pay the undisputed amount of the invoice to Contractor within thirty (30) days of The Company' receipt of such invoice.

Exhibit A

To

Independent Contractor Agreement Services, Deliverables, Delivery Dates, Specifications, and Rates

(a) The Services to be performed by Contractor shall include:

Development of a Food Safety Plan and implement the processes to The Company's Operations

adequate to pass an SQF audit                                                                                                             

(attach additional sheets as necessary for current or subsequent projects) (b) The Deliverables and Delivery Dates are as follows:

Deliverable

Delivery Date

Development of a Food Safety program for

The Company sufficient to pass and SQF audit. This will include a HACCP, GMP, and other necessary documents specific to our Company

Jan 31, 2019

(attach additional sheets as necessary for current or subsequent projects)

©   Specifications for each Deliverable shall be attached on separate sheets.

(d)  Contractor’s hourly rate shall be US$_15_ per hour (with a maximum of _40_ hours per week).

Ryan H.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 166 posts
  • 56 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Sports, traveling

Posted 15 December 2018 - 03:33 PM

Opinion: There unreliztic in the time allotted for completion of the development and implementation of SQF System.. I would make sure your allotted yourself the proper time.. Give yourself a few months instead of 4 weeks. 

All the best, 

Ryan Heavner 

Thanked by 2 Members:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 15 December 2018 - 11:01 PM

$15.00 an hour for that - you need superman rates.

However, the demand is unrealistic, considering that you can not hand off a ready to audit system anyway.

No Consultant in their right mind would accept these requirements.

And, you never accept being paid in arrears, been there, done that, stopped it 7 years ago - we get paid in advance for everything.

Edited by SQFconsultant, 15 December 2018 - 11:04 PM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 2 Members:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:24 PM

They are willing to pay as paupers price for the kingdom...........take a pass

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 2 Members:

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:40 PM

I agree with the responses above.That's not enough time to implement a Food Safety Plan with all of the corresponding documents needed; nor is the pay commensurate to the skill level required to conduct these activities. On top of that, if you had questions that needed to be answered about the process, this is not the time of the year for getting answers. I would imagine that the people you would need answers from will all be off on vacation for at least a week or two during this time frame; so you're going to lose time waiting on responses. My opinion -- this is a hard no...don't do it!

Thanked by 1 Member:

FSQA

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 315 posts
  • 126 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:45 PM

Besides the cost issue (which is a big issue here itself), developing the FSP needs some time and implementing it will take even more.The time allowed for the task to be implemented is too short. 

As Glenn mentioned above in post # 3, if you do want to pursue it, you need superman rates and IMO alot more assistance.

I would pass on it or may be do a counter offer with more time for completion & implementation and with much better/higher rates.

Edited by FSQA, 17 December 2018 - 02:45 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Peak

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Active
  • 42 posts
  • 14 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Helping others succeed in Food Safety! Specializing in Document Control, Corrective Action, Internal Auditing, Risk Assessments, and HACCP.

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:59 PM

I am a bit concerned with this....  It sounds to me like if for some reason out of your control the companies process were not implemented fully to successfully complete an audit you would be bound to work for free for them until you are able to get them certified.  This could take over 6 months if the audit is not passed.  Maybe I am over thinking this but that is how i read this.

(a) The Services to be performed by Contractor shall include:

Development of a Food Safety Plan and implement the processes to The Company's Operations

adequate to pass an SQF audit      

1. Delivery.  Upon each delivery date specified in Exhibit A, Contractor shall deliver the corresponding Deliverable to the Company's' approval.  Within fifteen (15) days thereafter, the Company shall inspect such Deliverable to test its conformity with the specifications set forth in Exhibit A.  If a Deliverable does not conform to the specifications: (i) The Company shall notify Contractor; (ii) Contractor shall, without further compensation, bring such Deliverable into conformity with the specifications; and (iii) Contractor shall re-deliver such completed Deliverable to The Company in accordance with this Section.

Peak Quality Consulting http://peakqualityconsulting.com

Office (414) 909-3249

SQF Practitioner

BRC Professional

HACCP Certified

ASQ CQA - Certified Quality Auditor

Thanked by 1 Member:

Microbiologist Scientist

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 91 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:44 AM

Hi Peak and everybody else!!!

I already talked to my boss and I told him that his proposal was not reasonable, for the same reasons that you guys, in this forum, have said. Thank you all for your comments.

I have to sit down with  my boss and explain him the procedure that requires a Food Safety Plan and that is not just copy and paste from the website as he thinks. If it were just copy and paste then there wouldn't  be Food Safety Consultants, which in fact earn good money for their hard work.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users