• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 17 December 2018 - 08:09 AM

Hi guys,

I am looking to write QPs and QMs for my company as we are now in the stage of getting the proper set up and documentations for our new startup division of a Fast Food chain. As we are establishing our own brand instead of getting a franchise, I was wondering if anyone could share their QPs and QMs for me to use it as a reference as I write my own for my company please? 

So far, I have only QP in preventive measurements, internal audits as well as human resource as these are the basic of all QPs required in my company that I could relate to this new division that we are branching out. So am hoping that all subject matter experts here would be willing to provide me with some guidance as I am unfamiliar with these ISO standards as well as the requirements of the QP.

Looking forward to hear from you guys soon!

Thanks in advance.

Billy

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 December 2018 - 08:58 AM

Hi Billy,

Need some context.

Product = ?

Process = ?

FS Standard = ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

billy1014

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:14 AM

Hi Billy,

Need some context.

Product = ?

Process = ?

FS Standard = ?

Hi Charles, 

As we are still fairly new, we have yet to established any of the above as yet. The only thing that I can say is that I am required to write QPs and QMs on the operational side of running the QSR. 

The only thing I can answer for now is that the operational procedures would be based solely on ISO 9001:2015. Hope this answer is suffice, or perhaps you can also ask me more too and I shall see if I am able to answer them as I am currently doing it all on my own for the time being until the management deems that I would require assistants and assistance on this matter.

Thanks,

Billy

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 17 December 2018 - 05:03 PM

you're writing quality standards without products?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

billy1014

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:51 AM

you're writing quality standards without products?

Sadly, yes. All I can say is that we have only decided on burgers and chicken fillets. That's all. Not even the types of burgers that we would want to put on sale has been decided this far. 

The QA Dept is pushing for me to come out with the QPs for the operational of the outlet, from front desk to kitchen, hygiene to food prep. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 December 2018 - 01:34 AM

Sadly, yes. All I can say is that we have only decided on burgers and chicken fillets. That's all. Not even the types of burgers that we would want to put on sale has been decided this far. 

The QA Dept is pushing for me to come out with the QPs for the operational of the outlet, from front desk to kitchen, hygiene to food prep. 

Hi Billy,

It sounds like there may have been some lack of clarity regarding the requests you are attempting to fulfil ?

Do you appreciate the distinction between Food Quality (ie non-safety related aspects) and Food Safety ?

iso9001 relates to the former, iso22000/fssc22000 to the latter.

Are you familiar with haccp ? (Or perhaps you are only concerned with "Quality" at this time ?)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

billy1014

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 18 December 2018 - 02:01 AM

Hi Billy,

It sounds like there may have been some lack of clarity regarding the requests you are attempting to fulfil ?

Do you appreciate the distinction between Food Quality (ie non-safety related aspects) and Food Safety ?

iso9001 relates to the former, iso22000/fssc22000 to the latter.

Are you familiar with haccp ? (Or perhaps you are only concerned with "Quality" at this time ?)

Hi Charles, 

At this moment of time, I would be looking at Quality in order for the management to be convince with this new branch division. As for Food Safety, that would be of the later stage upon completion of this stage, as it was laid down by the top management. And yes, I am aware of the distinction of these 2, however, am not well equipped with the knowledge of the latter as I have not done it before. 

Hope this clarifies a little and do let me know if there's more required info and I shall try my best to answer them. 

Thanks,

Billy

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 December 2018 - 02:36 AM

Hi Charles, 

At this moment of time, I would be looking at Quality in order for the management to be convince with this new branch division. As for Food Safety, that would be of the later stage upon completion of this stage, as it was laid down by the top management. And yes, I am aware of the distinction of these 2, however, am not well equipped with the knowledge of the latter as I have not done it before. 

Hope this clarifies a little and do let me know if there's more required info and I shall try my best to answer them. 

Thanks,

Billy

Hi Billy,

I'm not familiar with Malaysian requirements but i would anticipate that a Food-related Operation such as you mention will initially need approval of  Food Safety related aspects in order to get an official Manufacturing License.

i am "surprised" If you only need certification to iso9001 in order to "do Business"  .

I frankly wonder if yr Top Management know what they are doing ?

Regardless  the 9001 Standard's requirements are basically defined by the Standard. There are many free IT resources for Procedures, eg -

https://www.iso-9001...o-downloads.htm

The Operational Procedures will inevitably relate to your actual Operation. Some "typica"l compilations are available on IT, eg -

https://www.extensio.../SOP-restaurant

I'm not sure if the above is exactly what you are seeking ?

TBH you may find  it easier to involve a Consultant, Many people do. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

billy1014

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 18 December 2018 - 02:51 AM

Hi Billy,

I'm not familiar with Malaysian requirements but i would anticipate that a Food-related Operation such as you mention will initially need approval of  Food Safety related aspects in order to get an official Manufacturing License.

i am "surprised" If you only need certification to iso9001 in order to "do Business"  .

I frankly wonder if yr Top Management know what they are doing ?

Regardless  the 9001 Standard's requirements are basically defined by the Standard. There are many free IT resources for Procedures, eg -

https://www.iso-9001...o-downloads.htm

The Operational Procedures will inevitably relate to your actual Operation. Some "typica"l compilations are available on IT, eg -

https://www.extensio.../SOP-restaurant

I'm not sure if the above is exactly what you are seeking ?

TBH you may find  it easier to involve a Consultant, Many people do. :smile:

Hi Charles, 

Sadly, this company is an Oil & Gas company that is diversifying their business with F&B being the latest addition. As much as I've tried to explain numerous times that it will be best to do the basic outlines first like the business strategies, the objectives, identifying the target market and finalizing on the locations of operations, they have insisted in getting these operational standards first instead. Thus, am here to seek help as they deemed that ISO Consultant is irrelevant for this moment of time until they are well convinced that this division is good to go and when the involvement of the entire team is required, only then would they want to send me for the relevant training or, as per say, hiring a consultant. -_-

I have just completed the competitors analysis which gives us a checklist of the Do's & Don'ts based on the track record that has been proven by the big players of QSR and this would be my next task. And thank you so much for pointing the links to me, they surely seem to be of great help to me. Saves me the trouble of trying to crack my head given the short timeframe I am provided to complete these tasks. 

And sorry for the lil rant above. Just trying to get the steam off my head. :lol:

Thanks,

Billy

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 December 2018 - 03:24 AM

Hi Charles, 

Sadly, this company is an Oil & Gas company that is diversifying their business with F&B being the latest addition. As much as I've tried to explain numerous times that it will be best to do the basic outlines first like the business strategies, the objectives, identifying the target market and finalizing on the locations of operations, they have insisted in getting these operational standards first instead. Thus, am here to seek help as they deemed that ISO Consultant is irrelevant for this moment of time until they are well convinced that this division is good to go and when the involvement of the entire team is required, only then would they want to send me for the relevant training or, as per say, hiring a consultant. -_-

I have just completed the competitors analysis which gives us a checklist of the Do's & Don'ts based on the track record that has been proven by the big players of QSR and this would be my next task. And thank you so much for pointing the links to me, they surely seem to be of great help to me. Saves me the trouble of trying to crack my head given the short timeframe I am provided to complete these tasks. 

And sorry for the lil rant above. Just trying to get the steam off my head. :lol:

Thanks,

Billy

Hi Billy,

Thks for clarification. Explains a lot.

In addition to the head, I would also be watching my back. :happydance:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

billy1014

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 18 December 2018 - 03:32 AM

Hi Billy,

Thks for clarification. Explains a lot.

In addition to the head, I would also be watching my back. :happydance:

Hi Charles, 

Thanks for the headsup on the back. It sure is tiring working with people who tends to only want things to work in their own convenience without realizing that different industries have different situations and environments that we need to tackle accordingly. And sorry it took some time for the explanation to come by. Haha. 

Thanks,

Billy

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 18 December 2018 - 01:28 PM

Best of luck to you Billy!! you've got a monumental task ahead of you

In the interim if i were building quality standards on the info you've provided it would be pretty basic

A) patty weight +/- 5 grams

B) fat % +/- something (this will also factor into profit margin.....fat is cheap beef/chicken cuts are not)

C) uniformity in shape?

D) colour (if you are par cooking--if not, colour will vary depending on the raw materials)

May I also suggest that you provide the company with a rough estimate of the food safety costs..........do you need inspectors on site; GFSI certification; QA department; refer units; class A refrigeration mechanic.............lordy I could go on and on...............were talking about $500000 they probably haven't even considered................meat is the MOST expensive product to manufacture

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

billy1014

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 19 December 2018 - 01:40 AM

Best of luck to you Billy!! you've got a monumental task ahead of you

In the interim if i were building quality standards on the info you've provided it would be pretty basic

A) patty weight +/- 5 grams

B) fat % +/- something (this will also factor into profit margin.....fat is cheap beef/chicken cuts are not)

C) uniformity in shape?

D) colour (if you are par cooking--if not, colour will vary depending on the raw materials)

May I also suggest that you provide the company with a rough estimate of the food safety costs..........do you need inspectors on site; GFSI certification; QA department; refer units; class A refrigeration mechanic.............lordy I could go on and on...............were talking about $500000 they probably haven't even considered................meat is the MOST expensive product to manufacture

Thanks, Scampi. Will try my best to let them know the entire cost, but in the mean time, shall do up the necessary first in order to get it going.  :helpplease:

Peak

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Active
  • 42 posts
  • 14 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Helping others succeed in Food Safety! Specializing in Document Control, Corrective Action, Internal Auditing, Risk Assessments, and HACCP.

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:22 AM

Billy it sounds to me like you just need help starting the process.  I understand that before this business starts it would need A LOT of food safety consideration but for your purposes I recommend starting with a simple Process Flow.  You don't need to tell me but think in your head..... What would be the first step... how would materials be purchased or orders be taken.... Try to envision the whole picture.  What would happen from the receipt of raw material until the final product reaches the customer hands.  Define these high level steps.  This will start you on your ISO journey.  Once you establish each "process" you will need to create a core process document. If you need more help let me know.  I live to use visio to start defining my process flow. 

Peak Quality Consulting http://peakqualityconsulting.com

Office (414) 909-3249

SQF Practitioner

BRC Professional

HACCP Certified

ASQ CQA - Certified Quality Auditor

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users