Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 91 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 December 2018 - 11:53 PM

I do not know who is more crazy, my boss who believes that I can do the Food Safety Plan (SQF standard) in a month and a half and by means of a copy and paste from another plan already done, or me by accepting the work.
It's the first time I've developed a Food Safety Plan.
I like this blog because I learn a lot, in fact with you guys I learn more than what I learned in school.

Well, the HACCP Plan has already started, I'm sending an attachment. They would like your guys opinion and advice.

(excuse my English since it is my second language)

Attached Files

Lesley.Roberts

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 165 posts
  • 77 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 December 2018 - 09:56 AM

Hi Carmelo

This link may help:  

https://www.ifsqn.co...-my-haccp-plan/

In your attachment you don't state what your product actually is, only that it requires no further cooking, so, it's hard to know the specific risks?...

You mention consumption group as "general population" - being 21years old or older...unless your products carry an advisory notice "only for consumption for persons 21 years old, or older" or perhaps it is alcohol, so there is a legal minimum age of consumption? - if not, how to you intend to prevent consumption by minors & immunocompromised consumers?

(eg. honey in Europe has a warning label applied "not for consumption for infants less than 12 mths" which is due to risk of infant botulism).

If you can't do this you may have to include all potential consumers?...

Your flow diagram may need to be extended to include every step, eg. goods receipt, ingredient weighing, metal detection etc as you will need to include every operation to decide which is a CCP/OPRP etc.

Your HACCP team should probably include more than just you - it is standard practice to include different disciplines too.

https://myhaccp.food...lect-haccp-team

Lastly best of luck with your work, HACCP can be tricky at first - but once you have a good framework, robust controls & support of other functions,  it should be relatively easy to maintain. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

3560lynne

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 23 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 December 2018 - 12:31 PM

You are heading in the right direction. My opinion: I would not use unprovable in my haccp plan. Unlikely sounds better, less likely to create a challenge to someone looking at the plan. I wouldn't use "for the same reasons explained above" either. I would just repeat the reason. Over and over so be it - you want your plan to read easily and quickly to someone unfamiliar with it, referring to a previous note slows the reader down in understanding your plan. Again, just my two cents. 

"Unprovable for the same reasons explained above."

Thanked by 1 Member:

Microbiologist Scientist

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 91 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 December 2018 - 05:54 PM

Thanks 3560lynne

That was very helpfull

It make a lot of sence

I will change it

Thanks again

Microbiologist Scientist

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 91 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 December 2018 - 06:01 PM

Hi Lesley,

No, it doesn't said how the product is done, that would be on the Food Description and Distribution. I haven't done that part yet. I'm still waiting for the information (pH, water activity)

And I also don't know yet if I have to include my supplier process on the HACCP (Food Description and Distribution). My supplier sell our dry fruit, and then we blend it and makes "candys"(only the natural sugar from the fruit).

Then we sell the produt to a nother company and they put THC and sell it to the costumers (18 years or older)

Microbiologist Scientist

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 91 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 December 2018 - 07:05 AM

Hi everybody!!!

Ok, I'm ready

I had "finished" the HACCP (or maybe not)

I would like to know your opinion about the HACCP plan.

I'm sending only part of the 1st Principle.

Any improvement, please let me know before I give it to my boss and get fired.

Thanks In advance for your help.

( I can send the rest of the HACCP plan)

Attached Files

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 December 2018 - 06:02 AM

Hi Carmelo,

Apologies but i am confused over yr haccp "project".

What is the intended objective of the "Verification" Document in Post 6 ? eg is it intended to respond to a specific clause in  SQF8 Code XYZ ? Or  ??

Please clarify.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 December 2018 - 01:48 PM

Hi everybody!!!

Ok, I'm ready

I had "finished" the HACCP (or maybe not)

I would like to know your opinion about the HACCP plan.

I'm sending only part of the 1st Principle.

Any improvement, please let me know before I give it to my boss and get fired.

Thanks In advance for your help.

( I can send the rest of the HACCP plan)

I'm confused as well... is this just a snippet of the whole hazard analysis? It's hard to give you a fair opinion without seeing the whole analysis from start to finish....

I believe in another thread it was asked if you had taken a HACCP/PCQI class or seminar... it appears that this is not a HACCP hazard analysis, but a preventive controls hazard analysis (which is correct if you are FDA regulated, dried fruit).  If you have not taken the PCQI course, I would STRONGLY suggest it, and your instructor is often a valuable source of information.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Microbiologist Scientist

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 91 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 December 2018 - 07:12 AM

Hi Charles C and Ms Mars!!!
Ms Mars, I'm waiting to get all the information from my boss regarding the product description. Even so, I have a good idea of ​​the product description. I understand that the HACCP Plan must be complete so that you can help me. When I complete the Plan I will let you know waiting for your very helpful coments.

Charles C, I could notice the error in the "Validation" (6 Principle) and I will fix it. Thanks for the observation.

Microbiologist Scientist

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 91 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 December 2018 - 07:23 AM

Ms Mars, I'm doing the HACCP Plan for the SQF certification. SQF Code says: A food safety plan shall be prepared in accordance with the twelve steps identified in the Codex Alimentarius Commission HACCP guidelines (2.4.3.1).
Thanks for any comments

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 December 2018 - 01:16 PM

Hi Carmelo,

An immediate point of interest is that although I am not myself a user of FSMA / SQF, the format/terminologies used in your hazard analysis(s) appear aligned to FSMA (ie not Codex definitions).

Such documents may not be acceptable to SQF inasmuch as, for example, no analysis/conclusion/column with respect to CCPs seems to be presented.

Just for illustration/comparison, here is an example of a hazard analysis using a (pre-FSMA) format with similar "opening" to yr own but USDA/FSIS oriented -

Attached File  hazard analysis cured ham 05-04-12.doc   110KB   106 downloads

Attached File  Directions for Use of the Model Hazard Analysis Form.doc   25KB   82 downloads

PS - JFI, here is a detailed example of a (CFIA) hazard analysis with an analogous format to above but an expanded presentation - 

Attached File  HACCP Generic Model for Fresh produce, Ready-To-Eat Fresh-Cut Vegetables, CFIA.pdf   427.08KB   143 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 2 Members:

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 December 2018 - 02:05 PM

Ms Mars, I'm doing the HACCP Plan for the SQF certification. SQF Code says: A food safety plan shall be prepared in accordance with the twelve steps identified in the Codex Alimentarius Commission HACCP guidelines (2.4.3.1).
Thanks for any comments

Yes - as Charles stated, you've done a Preventive Controls hazard analysis (which you do need to be FSMA/FDA compliant in the US).  You will still need to perform a HACCP hazard analysis to be SQF compliant. 

IME CCPs and Preventive Controls are treated basically the same way in terms of monitoring, validation, etc.  However, as I've always interpreted it, a CCP is always a Preventive Control, but not every Preventive Control is a CCP. You can structure your hazard analyses separately, or combine them.  Since you don't appear to be dual jurisdiction I don't see an initial problem with combining the two. 

See the first post in this thread for a good example of how to do a hazard analysis that accounts for PCs and CCPs together: 

https://www.ifsqn.co...d-safety-plan/ 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Microbiologist Scientist

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 91 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 December 2018 - 02:12 AM

Hi everybody, is me again.

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Thanks Ms. Mars and Charles C for helping with the HACCP Plan.

I will fix my mistakes, thanks to your observations.

Charles C, thanks for the files, very helpful.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users