• Quick Navigation
Photo

SQF Code 8, what documentation is expected from my suppliers?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Microbiologist Scientist

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 91 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 December 2018 - 06:25 PM

Hi everybody,

If it weren't for you guys it would be much harder for me to understand the SQF Code 8. You guys are very helpful. All of you have a lot of knowledge and useful advice.
​Thanks.
ANOTHER question
​I already read the code and read information about it on the internet.
​I believe that I will need the following items to be able completing the SQF certification.
  • ​Certification from our supplier (GFSI)
  • Laboratory Analysis of the product that our supplier send us
  • ​1st Party Audits from our supplier (Internal Audits)
  • ​3rd Party Audits (GFSI) (I believe is better if they have a SQF certification)
  • ​My supplier product description (pH, Water activity)
  • Supplier's HACCP plan

Thanks once again

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:04 PM

It depends on what you are getting from your suppliers.  If it is packaging, then you likely don't need laboratory analysis, just a COA or continuing guarantee letter. You should complete a hazard analysis of your ingredients and packaging, then determine what you need from your suppliers based on risk. But as a basic supplier approval program rule of thumb, I always request third-party audit certification (GFSI preferred), product descriptions, nutrition information, storage information, SDS (if necessary), proof of insurance coverage, and letter of guarantee.

Microbiologist Scientist

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 91 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 December 2018 - 09:07 PM

Hi Ms Mars

We get dry fruit (apple, mango) and then we blended to make little pieces, after that we sell them to a company who adds THC. Then they pack the product for sale.

We get the dry food from a supplier in Mexico. I don't know yet what is the water activity or pH, but it should be very low pH and very low water activity.

Question: What information should I get from them for my HACCP plan?

I believe I need information from my supplier to be able to developed the HACCP plan. There is a part in the HACCP that talk about the Food Description and Distribution [2nd Preliminary Tasks(before the 7 Principles)]

Microbiologist Scientist

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 91 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 December 2018 - 10:59 PM

Hi,

If the packing material is going to come in direct contract with the product, do we only need a COA or a Continuing Guarantee Letter?

Or do we need more (3rd party audit certification, product description, storage information, ...........)?

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 December 2018 - 03:46 PM

Hi Ms Mars

We get dry fruit (apple, mango) and then we blended to make little pieces, after that we sell them to a company who adds THC. Then they pack the product for sale.

We get the dry food from a supplier in Mexico. I don't know yet what is the water activity or pH, but it should be very low pH and very low water activity.

Question: What information should I get from them for my HACCP plan?

I believe I need information from my supplier to be able to developed the HACCP plan. There is a part in the HACCP that talk about the Food Description and Distribution [2nd Preliminary Tasks(before the 7 Principles)]

See post #2.

Hi,

If the packing material is going to come in direct contract with the product, do we only need a COA or a Continuing Guarantee Letter?

Or do we need more (3rd party audit certification, product description, storage information, ...........)?

See also post #2. Depends on risk, history, etc.  IME you would typically need product specs, description, storage info, chem migration info for plastics (if in US), and continuing guarantee unless are documented issues with your packaging supplier, then you would start requesting COA's or testing results (or drop the supplier because if your packaging supplier is giving you micro problems, then it's time to find a new one). 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users