Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:34 AM

4.2.3 of BRC v 8 requires that 'Staff shall be trained in site security procedures and food defence'

We have created a booklet for this topic which will become part of new employee induction.  However what is the right thing to do with existing staff.  Do we really need to pull them all off the factory floor to go through the booklet with them in a classroom session or can we issue it to each employee, get them to read it then sign to say they have?  Will this be acceptable to auditors.

Any views appreciated.  What is everyone else doing regarding this new section? 

Thanks

Classic

gazza1973

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:58 AM

HI Classic,

what I have done is a staff memo (Training) for the supervisors and I would instruct them to cascade down to all of the staff in there department,
once this has been addressed by the supervisors I have instructed them to get the staff to sign a training record.

Thanks
Gazza

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:02 PM

It doesn't seem like that significant a change from 4.2.2 under Issue 7 ("Staff shall be trained in site security procedures and encouraged to report unidentified or unknown visitors")?

The updated clause largely seems to be a modification to reflect the greater overt reference to food defence in Issue 8, and indeed the new title of section 4.2.

If you're already compliant with Issue 7 then this shouldn't be that significant, as your staff will already be trained in your site's security procedures, and these would presumably already incorporate most of the bits of food defence that they actually need to know about?
I'm not expecting to have to conduct detailed training on how TACCP works for everyone, so the only change will be a case of updating the actual operational/site controls if the review of our food defence systems brings about any changes in how things are actually done on site, and making sure these are trained out to the relevant people as is normal with any change in a procedure.

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 684 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 January 2019 - 03:04 PM

You need documented training so sometimes you have to "bite the bullet" and hold the training. If it's easier, do it in small groups. For us, we do each shift all at once then pick up the few absentees as we're able. For staff I use email (Outlook) and send it delivery receipt and read receipt. You can print the email with tall of the read receipts printed with it. I have used this for "office" staff training and presented the read receipt with the email to the auditor and it has always been accepted.

Edited by Hoosiersmoker, 23 January 2019 - 03:05 PM.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users