Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 20 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:34 AM

Hi , we are a coconut oil (crude and refined) manufacturing company.  We are in the process of finalizing our HACCP Plan. We are stuck in developing preventive controls for Heavy Metals (HM) . Our equipment and storage tanks are not stainless steel, hence there is a risk for HM, although we have a machine and tank cleaning procedures.  Request for help to share if you have developed preventive controls for heavy metals in your process (even if not edible oil). Thank you!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,493 posts
  • 1512 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:02 PM

First you need to see what you are dealing with. That means leaving a representative sample sitting in a metal container made from the same materials as your tanks for 5 times longer that you normally would under the same conditions (agitation, temperature, viscosity) and then sampling to see what metals are left in the sample. And then repeat with shorter duration until you are under the prescribed limits of those metals.

The only other way you could control the heavy metals, is to have the inside of the tanks coated..........but I don't know what with or how (but I do know it can be done!)

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users