• Quick Navigation
Photo

Bread aroma additives in commercial baking (UK)?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

calecooking

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 February 2019 - 03:43 AM

Hello

I'd like some help identifying a smell. A slightly unusual request but bear with me!

I'm a caterer based in the UK and would like to start producing a number of speciality "morning goods" (e.g. rolls, baguettes) on a fairly large scale.

I've had experience in commercial baking and am familiar with the usual range of emulsifiers/improvers/additives/etc. which are used, however one thing which eludes me is the commercial "fresh bread" aroma.

Commercial bakeries in the UK such as supermarkets etc. all produce goods with a recognisable and distinct "fresh bread" aroma. This is well beyond the usual aroma produced by baking bread, or from yeast/fermentation/etc. but I have yet to discover what it actually is. All I know is it is absolutely an additive used specifically to add an aroma during and after baking, but I can't find any suppliers.

A friend in a supermarket bakery has informed me the aroma comes from their bagged emulsifier powder - and I can confirm this, having sniffed it - but this arrives pre-mixed and ingredients are not disclosed.

Can anyone educate me on what additives are used specifically to add aroma and/or point me in the direction of a supplier?

Thank you

Lesley.Roberts

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 165 posts
  • 77 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:07 PM

Hmmm.... this is an unusual one!!..... I worked for the bakery category in a UK retailer & this wasn't ever discussed as a "thing" so I'd always assumed this was standard Mailard reaction stuff?...

However many bakery additives are produced by CSM - so if you could find a friendly contact on LinkedIn they may be able to advise what they put in their improvers to generate this odour?...

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bread, baking, aroma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users