• Quick Navigation
Photo
- - - - -

How are You Measuring Your Food Safety Culture Plan?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Martyn

Martyn

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:47 AM

Hi

We are starting to put together our Food Safety Culture Plan in readiness for our BRC V8 Audit.

I am interested to know, what is the current position people may be in with regards to your existing food safety culture, how are you measuring this and showing evidence/demonstrating the Food Safet Culture plan is working/effective?

Any suggestions or ideas on getting started on this would be of great help.

Many Thanks

Martyn 

#2 angelicab

angelicab

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:16 PM

Hello Martyn - I am curious as well about this topic considering V8 is now in effect. In my facility, the food safety culture is still developing however I received some great ideas from our food safety consultant for ways to measure, show evidence of and demonstrate food safety culture - one of which can incorporate internal GMP inspections - give each department/production line/work area a score of 100 point at the start of the inspection and as violations of GMP come up you dock 5 points - in the end each department/production line/work area will have a score and (if pictures are taken along the way) that evidence can be used as a training tool. Once training is provided the scores can be trended throughout the year to indicate improvement... create some friendly competition and can include incentives. Is the food safety culture established enough in your facility that you believe this can be effective for your operations?

Thanked by 1 Member:

#3 Martyn

Martyn

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:29 PM

Good Afternoon 

Thank you for your comments. This is an interesting way of getting staff involved and taking ownership and accountability of the areas, whilst as you say creating some friendly competition. 

We do a very similar style GMP audit, so this is something we can easily adapt. There appears to be a lot of research on concepts, theory and tools used to measure Food Safety Culture, but I note these appear to be targeted at larger multinational organisations and not necessarily SME.

My understanding is that the BRC will be looking as documented actions plans for the first year of audits, then looking at how the action plan is implemented year on year. 

This is a very interesting topic and I would be very interested in other people views and experiences. 

Kind Regards 

Martyn 

Edited by Martyn, 12 February 2019 - 05:30 PM.

#4 Shere- Dean

Shere- Dean

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Jamaica
    Jamaica

Posted 13 February 2019 - 04:24 PM

Good day,

Our company is going for FSSC certification, however evidence of a food safety culture is required by a customer. Currently we have:

1) A mini food safety culture survey ( distributed at general staff meetings- attached)

2) A food safety culture assessment (done annually- provided by our customer)

3) A food safety objective score card with all our food safety KPIs and the score received monthly and year to date. Some KPIs are GMP scores, PRP scores, food safety related customer complaints etc.

4) Food Safety Policy posted at critical areas e.g. training room, visitors waiting room, canteen and all notice boards. 

5) Provided ID companions for all staff with our food safety policy written in a way that it can be easily understood by everyone. 

6) Whsitleblower procedure in support of food safety.

I hope this helps. 

S. Reid. 

#5 Shere- Dean

Shere- Dean

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Jamaica
    Jamaica

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:08 PM