• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:25 PM

Hello,

We were curious to find out if any food processing/manaufacturing companies are tracing gloves and/or arm sleeves that are used during production that come into food contact.  We are a frozen dough manufacturing business and the gloves we use come into contact with the dough on a daily basis.  Traceability of the gloves and arm sleeves are not currently part of our food safety programs however we were considering the food safety risks to determine if we should start tracing them and would greatly appreciate any feedback!

Thank you!

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:30 PM

Should not be a sufficient enough food safety risk to warrant traceability as long as they are designated for food contact and non-latex. 

Unless you are referring to a program for tracking due to lost gloves or sleeves in the product? If so, there are metal-detectable gloves and sleeves on the market, and a glove/sleeve checkout program may be warranted. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:18 PM

Hi Brednar1,

we are a bakery. We don't trace gloves. We are producing for UK retailers too.

Of cource the gloves-policy, foreign body policy and requirements (FCM, specs, non-latex etc.) are part of the hygiene PRP.

Rgds

moskito

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:26 PM

I have never "traced" gloves, but they are listed on my daily operational checklist for integrity.....

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

FoodSafetyPlanet

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 88 posts
  • 31 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:41 PM

Integrity of gloves/sleeves usually means to observe the employees wearing them for signs of tears, rips, soil, etc. 

foodsafetyAUS

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 46 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:02 AM

We are not doing trace as well. However we have a daily near miss walk and weekly black bag audit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:46 PM

I will caution you that tracing gloves and sleeves could very well turn into a full time position for someone

Depending on the size of your workforce.............2 gloves + 2 sleeves per employee X3 changes per day = 16 units per employee per day

So multiply 16 * the number of employees per shift..............you can easily see where this becomes an enormous task

What are you wanting to trace them for? Integrity or do you think you have a micro issue?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Jlee66

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 February 2019 - 04:04 PM

This could open up a large can of worms. However, it needs to be risked out to determine if its absolutely necessary or not at this time. Ensuring they are food grade with a letter of suitablity, in most cases, are enough. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users