• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 February 2019 - 04:06 PM

Hi there, 

I'm an SQFP in the fresh vegetable producing and packaging sector. 

I'm not sure if this question is applicable to this forum or if I should post it elsewhere, but I'm looking at potentially accepting a position as a food lab technician at a confectionery facility, and I'm not super familiar with the day to day specifics involved in this position, so I was hoping there may be a few lab techs here who could help me out. I've got a meeting this week where I will be given the opportunity to ask a few questions, and I'm just trying to think about what I should be asking. 

Given that I know very little about what lab equipment is commonly used in this position, I'm also hoping someone can give me some pointers on where to do some research to familiarize myself with this type of equipment. I'd like to learn as much as possible about it. I assume viscosity will be measured and maybe TSS?, as well as allergen sampling and perhaps some testing for nutritional values? 

Going from fresh vegetables to confectionery is a big step for me.  

Thanks everyone!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 February 2019 - 01:44 PM

Lab techs are generally very busy people  (last place I was at the lab techs rotated with 1 full day a week on the floor and 4 days in lab so that everyone was cross trained for vacation/sick days etc)

You should familiarize yourself with:

plate readers

atp/tpc reading (and associated equipment)

automatic pippeters

brix readings

water activity (i'm thinking that would only apply to softer confections)

what materials are  used to keep machinery from sticking to the candy in question (for possible allergen testing)

These articles may help

http://www.wafermati...itycontrol.html

https://www.research...IONERY_INDUSTRY

This is someones linkedIn profile for lab tech at mars

Create prototype formulations for pilot plant trials, line trials, and lab testing.
•Conduct laboratory tests and procedures 
•Assist in pilot plant operations 
•Set up and operate laboratory equipment in preparation for testing
•Responsible for providing research insights for continuous development on projects
•Analyze data through software programs; Microsoft Office, Dinocapture 2.0, ImageJ
•Adhere to regulatory GMPs and food safety protocols
•Knowledge of database technologies; ELN, LIMS and SWORD
•Maintain a clean and sanitary work area in accordance with standard laboratory practice and procedures
•Laboratory instruments include: Refractometer, FTIR, Microscopy, pH, Conductivity, Zahn Viscosity, Spectrophotometry, and Texture Analyzer

Ask just how busy they are and what (if any) testing is done as part of a hold and release program (then you'll know about really tight turnaround)

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: food lab, lab tech, confectionery, interviews, new job, transition, equipment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users