• 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:18 PM

Happy Friday!!!

Hoping someone has some insight

We've been approached to produce a Lebanese style garlic sauce as a co packer. We do not yet know pH or aw for the finished good. Product will be cold fill and hold with no kill step and basically only the antimicrobial properties of garlic, and a low pH and aw?? will keep it shelf stable

Has anyone experience with this style product?

Ingredients  oil, garlic, salt , lemon juice

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Mariam Y.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:40 PM

I came across this before, it is a FDA's titled "Current Food Safety Issues of Home-prepared Vegetables and Herbs Stored in Oil", I know this is not a Home-Prepared product, but it might give some insights...

http://www.foodprote...n-11-Nummer.pdf

"Raw or cooked garlic -> No Acidifying -> Storage Recommendation: Refrigerate -> Shelf-life: 3 weeks "

Edited by MariamY, 15 March 2019 - 01:42 PM.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:45 PM

Thanks Mariam

I'm really hoping the pH comes in below 4 and aw below .85...........otherwise were not doing this project

What blows my mind is the client has been to other co-packers and not one of them asked about the finished product testing!  Particularly with the SFCR, it's us taking the hit with CFIA if something goes horribly wrong

Client looked right at me and said  "i don't know, do you think I've just been lucky???"  Ah, yep, you could have easily put people in hospital!  So if nothing else, hopefully I've educated him a bit

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Mariam Y.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:03 PM

Thanks Mariam

I'm really hoping the pH comes in below 4 and aw below .85...........otherwise were not doing this project

What blows my mind is the client has been to other co-packers and not one of them asked about the finished product testing!  Particularly with the SFCR, it's us taking the hit with CFIA if something goes horribly wrong

Client looked right at me and said  "i don't know, do you think I've just been lucky???"  Ah, yep, you could have easily put people in hospital!  So if nothing else, hopefully I've educated him a bit

My concern is that adding the lemon juice might make the aw higher, which might make it less stable..

I think for traditional-products, producers sometimes look at it with the perspective "I have been doing this for a long time, nothing happened/ We have been eating this at home & we are fine..." which is a little bit frustrating.

It is  a good thing that you gave them some insights about Food Safety ! Good Luck!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users