• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 March 2019 - 07:33 PM

Hello IFSQN members,

I am working with a very small plant to produce a pork-based product. They're looking to use bottled water in their product because they aren't a fan of the taste of the tap water in their facility. I can't get any information from the owner of the building (different than the owner I'm working for) about the testing of their tap water.

Would I need a letter of guarantee (LoG) from the seller of the bottled water to use it in production? 

If we are to use the tap water for sanitation purposes, would we need to have it tested? What if we used a bleach solution at the end of the sanitation process? 

Thanks for your help!

Brian

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:09 PM

Get a reverse osmosis system.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

thesimplecook

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:16 PM

Get a reverse osmosis system.

Then won't we need to validate that process? What kind of frequency do you think would be required to validate a process like that?

FSQA

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 315 posts
  • 126 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:17 PM

I am working with a very small plant to produce a pork-based product. They're looking to use bottled water in their product because they aren't a fan of the taste of the tap water in their facility. I can't get any information from the owner of the building (different than the owner I'm working for) about the testing of their tap water.

Would I need a letter of guarantee (LoG) from the seller of the bottled water to use it in production? 

Hi Brian,

Water testing frequency can widely vary depending on the type of product you are processing and the type of hazards you can assess  in your product. If you are unable to achieve information from the owner of the building, try to locate the source of your tap water. Most probably if it is sourced from the city, a simple google can reveal a report for the last year from the water supply source (if you are unable to determine the water source, try to locate the last water bill paid by the building, and can help you to locate the water source).

Simply getting a LOG from the bottled water/manufacturer will not serve your purpose. Either you can approve the bottle supplier as your approved supplier and inquire them for testing results or you will need to test your water by a laboratory for potability.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users