• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is it necessary to add new heat exchangers to my process flow chart?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
- - - - -

AngieGH

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Ghana
    Ghana

Posted 25 March 2019 - 12:59 PM

Good afternoon family.

would it be necessary to add heat ex changers to my process flow chart if all it does is to bring down temperatures so as to enable better tempering?

Will appreciate it if i can get more clarity on this. Thanks.

Angie. :smile:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,510 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:07 PM

Yes as your process after the heat exchanger will be dependent on how well it functions (assuming you will be adjusting your time constraints to speed up tempering)

EACH step of a process MUST be included in your flow chart.............you simply cannot address hazards when steps are omitted

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 25 March 2019 - 02:37 PM

Agree with Scampi here - definitely merits consideration as a step in its own right, if only so you can verify for yourself that you've got suitable controls in place. In addition to the sensible point regarding temperature and impact on subsequent processes, I'd possibly include physical integrity of the units and potentially also pressure differential in your hazard considerations. Hopefully these are already managed via a maintenance program and operating procedures, but it really doesn't hurt to check and document this in your HACCP plan.

It's very easy to say "it's just a heat exchanger" until it starts leaking poorly controlled glycol into your product and the high profile launch a new product has to be delayed... (not my site, but yes I can confirm that this can and does happen)

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,674 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 25 March 2019 - 03:46 PM

Add it in.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

AngieGH

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Ghana
    Ghana

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:02 PM

Yes as your process after the heat exchanger will be dependent on how well it functions (assuming you will be adjusting your time constraints to speed up tempering)

EACH step of a process MUST be included in your flow chart.............you simply cannot address hazards when steps are omitted

Thanks. this is helpful.

AngieGH

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Ghana
    Ghana

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:06 PM

Agree with Scampi here - definitely merits consideration as a step in its own right, if only so you can verify for yourself that you've got suitable controls in place. In addition to the sensible point regarding temperature and impact on subsequent processes, I'd possibly include physical integrity of the units and potentially also pressure differential in your hazard considerations. Hopefully these are already managed via a maintenance program and operating procedures, but it really doesn't hurt to check and document this in your HACCP plan.

It's very easy to say "it's just a heat exchanger" until it starts leaking poorly controlled glycol into your product and the high profile launch a new product has to be delayed... (not my site, but yes I can confirm that this can and does happen)

thanks pHruit..appreciate it.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users