Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 March 2019 - 01:33 AM

I have been viewing this form for a while now and got several ideas on how to get my Food Safety Plan/HACCP Plan in order, however this is my first time posting. I also wasn't sure whether to post this in HACCP or FSMA.

I currently am struggling in figuring out how to organize my Food Safety/HACCP Plan and I was hoping someone would be able to give me some insight.

We are a bakery manufacturer that makes over 80 SKU's, majority of them are frozen, unbaked different types of dough that are cut into a variety of shapes and sizes and filled with a variety of different fillings. As discussed on this forum several times, I am trying to group my products together so that I don't have too many Flow Charts, Hazard Analysis, etc...

Some of the products I make are as follows: 

Non Filled, Frozen, Puff Pastry Dough (has both Non Dairy and Dairy Recipes) (Variety of shapes and sizes)

Non Filled, Frozen, Danish Dough (Contains Yeast, Eggs, and has both Non Dairy and Dairy Recipes) (Variety of shapes and sizes)

Non Filled, Frozen, Croissant Dough (Contains Yeast, and has both Non Dairy and Dairy Recipes) (Variety of shapes and sizes)

Filled, Frozen Puff Pastry Products (Uses Puff Pastry Dough + variety of different shapes, sizes, fillings and allergens being used) (Some fillings are used directly from vendor, some are being mixed in house)

Filled, Frozen Danish Dough Products (Uses Danish Dough + variety of different shapes, sizes, fillings and allergens being used) (Some fillings are used directly from vendor, some are being mixed in house)

Baked, Frozen Danish Products (Uses Danish Dough + variety of different shapes, sizes, fillings and allergens being used) (Some fillings are used directly from vendor, some are being mixed in house)

Baked Cookies (Contains Eggs, does not contain dairy(milk)) - Variety of different fillings.

Generally all these products have a very similar process with the exception of filling and baking which only some products have.

I grouped my products as follows;

1) Production Non-Filling

2) Production Filling

3) Baked Goods

My questions are as follows:

1) Does the way I grouped my products make sense? My only concern is that the each of these product groups has a lot of different ingredients associated with them and while some products in a group contain Dairy others do not.

If the way I grouped my products is OK:

1) Does my Flow Diagram make sense? Is there any adjustments you might make? I know some people discussed numbering the boxes on this forum. That is something I was considering doing once completing the flow diagram.

2) Can I go a step further and combine Production Non-Filling and Production Filling or should these be separated since we are mixing our own fillings for some of our products?

3) Do I need to make a Ingredient Hazard Analysis and Process Hazard Analysis for each Product Category? This would be redundant as the ingredients I am using are in all three product categories.

My idea instead if it makes sense was to make One Ingredient Hazard Analysis for all incoming Ingredients into the factory.

In regards to the Process Hazard Analysis (as you can see by the flow chart), most of the processes are the same for all product categories with the exception of filling and baking. Can I make one Process Hazard Analysis and just list the Mixing Filling Step, Fill Step and Bake Step as separate rows in the Process Hazard Analysis?

Hopefully this made sense and any insight you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You!

Edited by CapAce, 27 March 2019 - 01:34 AM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:47 AM

there is no flow diagram ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

CapAce

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:10 PM

I forgot to hit the attach this file button. Please see attached.

Thanks!

Attached Files

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:31 PM

You're flow diagram looks good, but remember that you need to develop a plan based on RISKS/HAZARDS  so perhaps what you need are sub groups (dairy/wheat etc)

If that gets too complicated/cumbersome, it may be simpler and less time consuming overall to develop 3 separate HACCP plans for the 3 product flows you have identified. The you can further break down those flows where allergens are present.

Are you willing to post your traffic flow diagram?  Seeing where cross contamination happens may help in this process

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

patti.garcia

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:27 PM

Hello,

Your flow diagram looks good but not sure I see the need of the colored lines. You might consider putting a step number - mine all correspond to my risk/hazard analysis for easy reference (example A). What about separating out your packaging, receiving, and warehouse procedures into their own flow charts? You might also consider adding inputs like heat (is your baking steam heat? it is a kill step) and outputs like non-conforming/waste streams.

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:24 PM

Agree with Patti...........that's why it's so important to follow the 7 steps and 12 principles of HACCP regardless of the standard your following. The process flow diagram needs to work in conjunction with all the other steps........e.g. you can't have 1 without the other..........although I personnally believe that once the HA is complete, the process flow should be reevaluated and steps #s added

StellarHACCPGraphicInsideListing.jpg

Edited by Scampi, 28 March 2019 - 01:26 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 March 2019 - 02:54 PM

As per Scampi's comments, -

From a haccp plan POV, grouping IMO necessarily relates to the existence of  (1) similarity of flow chart, (2) similarity of hazard analysis, eg CCPs.

It is obviously going to be textually difficult to group products which have significant  differences in  (1) or (2).

I note you are a member of the "baking = no CCP" club. Hmmm.

JFI, ingredients presumably require hazard "details" to be entered into haccp plan, are these "details" also groupable ?

Everything else being equal, I agree with Scampi that 3 haccp plans are probably the minimum. Allergenic differences may increase further.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

CapAce

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:41 PM

You're flow diagram looks good, but remember that you need to develop a plan based on RISKS/HAZARDS  so perhaps what you need are sub groups (dairy/wheat etc)

If that gets too complicated/cumbersome, it may be simpler and less time consuming overall to develop 3 separate HACCP plans for the 3 product flows you have identified. The you can further break down those flows where allergens are present.

Are you willing to post your traffic flow diagram?  Seeing where cross contamination happens may help in this process

I am not sure if I understand what you mean by sub groups? I don't have a traffic flow diagram currently, it's on my list of things to create. The company had a mediocre HACCP Plan in place and I am using that as a guide and trying to combine it into an all encompassing food safety plan. 

Hello,

Your flow diagram looks good but not sure I see the need of the colored lines. You might consider putting a step number - mine all correspond to my risk/hazard analysis for easy reference (example A). What about separating out your packaging, receiving, and warehouse procedures into their own flow charts? You might also consider adding inputs like heat (is your baking steam heat? it is a kill step) and outputs like non-conforming/waste streams.

I was planning on putting the step numbers after completed. I can see that doing that will remove the need for the color lines. I thought about separating it and if it expands further as I go through the Hazard Analysis I will separate them out. As of right now I am thinking of making Receiving Packaging (Step 1A), Receiving Bulk (Step 1B), etc... Thoughts? Will see how it looks once it's all said and done, I may have to make more changes.

Agree with Patti...........that's why it's so important to follow the 7 steps and 12 principles of HACCP regardless of the standard your following. The process flow diagram needs to work in conjunction with all the other steps........e.g. you can't have 1 without the other..........although I personnally believe that once the HA is complete, the process flow should be reevaluated and steps #s added

Seeing as the company already had a HACCP Plan in place and I am using that as a base I already have the team in place and a lot of the procedures in place. The way it is setup is currently is the Product Description is for 2 products (Puff Pastry and Danish/Croissant (both have a variety of shapes, sizes and fillings) [Both these products have the same process flow, the only difference is one contains eggs and yeast and the other does not]. The Process Flow Diagram & Process Hazard Analysis is based on Production w/ Filling and Production non-Filling (As shown in the flow chart i attached). I am reviewing this and making sure this is the best way of doing this. There is currently not an Ingredient Hazard Analysis in place (only process hazard analysis) and I needed to add this to the plan. My idea was to have it be for all the ingredients which come into the facility since some of these are used throughout all the products and the same Allergen Controls are in place for whenever any allergen is being used (other then wheat which we do not control in the factory). That's where my question comes into play, because I am basically making 1 Plan instead of 3 if I do this, correct?

As per Scampi's comments, -

From a haccp plan POV, grouping IMO necessarily relates to the existence of  (1) similarity of flow chart, (2) similarity of hazard analysis, eg CCPs.

It is obviously going to be textually difficult to group products which have significant  differences in  (1) or (2).

I note you are a member of the "baking = no CCP" club. Hmmm.

JFI, ingredients presumably require hazard "details" to be entered into haccp plan, are these "details" also groupable ?

Everything else being equal, I agree with Scampi that 3 haccp plans are probably the minimum. Allergenic differences may increase further.

It seems that all these products have a similar flow chart and hazard analysis in my eyes. Textually it is getting difficult for me on how to tie it all together (I think mainly due to different allergens being present in the same product category [i.e. puff pastry variety and danish/croissant variety]).

The factory cleans the machines between every item and uses the same procedure to clean each machine which makes me lean toward trying to group the ingredient analysis for all incoming ingredients coming into the facility.

In regards to the baking=ccp, I saw the back and forth on the forums and didn't want to get into that part yet until I get there. The factory only bakes product for one customer which asked us to add his product to our plan. His request forced me to review our plan and realize the changes that need to be made.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 March 2019 - 01:07 PM

My suggestion would be to perform the HA on ingredients et all, THEN make changes, otherwise you will be duplicating work and complicating matters for yourself. 

I've posted this before, and here it is again--it is a beast to use HOWEVER, it will generate everything for you, ingredient hazards, cross contamination, process hazards......you can then export it into excel and copy and paste from there---------it takes about 1/2 hour to fill everything in it will ask, but at the end voila and really comprehensive HA

http://www.inspectio...9/1384900941583

Edited by Scampi, 29 March 2019 - 01:08 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users