• Quick Navigation
Photo

Do supplier documents need to be translated?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Jvalentin

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:07 PM

HI All, 

I was wondering if anyone can answer this question for me.

We are a Japanese Tea company in North America with our parent company in Japan.  We deal with suppliers out here and in Japan.  When we deal with our Japanese suppliers and request documents verifying food safety of products received they come in Japanese with no translation to English on their behalf. We have tried to ask them to translate with no luck. My question is, we are able to translate to English however how would a Auditor view a document translated by us.  Would it still be valid or does it have to get professionally translated?  

Thank you

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:13 PM

Are you GFSI? If so, what scheme? In some cases I've seen companies request from their CB an auditor that can understand that language (SQF). 

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:16 PM

Now I work at a company that speaks mainly Spanish. I am not a Spanish speaker. And every document I make, I translate it from English to Spanish or vice versa. My predecessor did the same thing. And the auditor was fine with it. (SQF)

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Jvalentin

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:17 PM

HI Food Scientist, 
We are SQF Certified Level II.  I would say 98% of all of our documents are in English.  Our scheduled audit is in 2 weeks, so it may bit a bit late to request one that understands the language.  But hopefully next audit we can do so.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:21 PM

The documents do not have to be professionally translated.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Vivienne

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 September 2020 - 08:17 PM

Definitely no!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 September 2020 - 08:34 PM

HI All, 

I was wondering if anyone can answer this question for me.

We are a Japanese Tea company in North America with our parent company in Japan.  We deal with suppliers out here and in Japan.  When we deal with our Japanese suppliers and request documents verifying food safety of products received they come in Japanese with no translation to English on their behalf. We have tried to ask them to translate with no luck. My question is, we are able to translate to English however how would a Auditor view a document translated by us.  Would it still be valid or does it have to get professionally translated?  

Thank you

(1-year old thread)

How could non-Japanese speakers understand the documents without translating them ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

biglor

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 23 September 2020 - 10:11 AM

If you need just to understand what it is about, you can use Google Translate, I always do it, when the instruction is not translated. Of course, if you need an accurate translation of the document, it would be better to ask professionals for help. I used wordpoint.com  when I needed to translate my CV, and they did it very well, perhaps they will help you.

Edited by Charles.C, 23 September 2020 - 12:41 PM.
link removed

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users