Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 12 April 2019 - 04:04 PM

I wasn't exactly sure which sub-forum to post this, but since my question probably revolves mostly around sanitation, I figured this would be the best place.

We are a USDA plant that produces and packages RTE meat products. Our products are jerky and go through a time and temperature kill step. However, we are looking to branch out by providing non-jerky companies with a packing solution. We have a good automated packaging machine that can package more than just jerky, so we are offering that service to a number of other USDA certified companies.

One company in particular, that is very interested, produce a small stick that is salami style. With this comes the risk of mold spores getting into our plant. There is no visible mold on these products, but there is definitely the possibility of the mold getting into our machinery in tough to clean places.

While this is not a food safety concern for us, it is a food quality concern for our own cooked product. We want to take this new opportunity to package for this other company, but we are unsure if we can totally prevent mold from contaminating our cooked product.

We have a very extensive sanitation program and we perform a significant amount of ATP tests.

Does anyone have any experience in this area that can shed some light on what to expect if we take on this project?

Thank you very much!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 April 2019 - 04:50 PM

The other party is making salami the traditional way?  Hung and cured but not cooked?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 12 April 2019 - 04:55 PM

Are you guys located in Wisconsin by any chance?

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Jpainter

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 75 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 April 2019 - 04:57 PM

Like Scampi suggested, you need more info on this product before a decision can be made. Is it a lactic or citric acid salami, or is fermented the traditional way? Has it gone through a lethality step? Does this company test their products for pathogens as well as yeast and mold? I would request a specification sheet with these details from the manufacturer in order to properly evaluate if they are a fit to copack for. 

Edited by Jpainter, 12 April 2019 - 04:58 PM.

PSC

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:00 PM

Are you guys located in Wisconsin by any chance?

No, we are not in Wisconsin.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Thank you.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users